Bladeauction bids that start at 1.00?? Please advise!

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
scarecrow

Bladeauction bids that start at 1.00?? Please advise!

Post by scarecrow »

:shock: I have been bidding on bladeauction for a while. I have noticed some bidding that starts at a dollor. It seems obvious that the knives being bid on are worth much more than that. What is the seller doing? Please explain why bidding on a 40.00 knife would start at 1.00?

Thanks beforehand,
George
If it isn't an auto it auto be!
sammy da blade

x

Post by sammy da blade »

they start them at $1 just to get the ball rolling! keeps you from putting a $5 bid on it 1 minute before the auction ends and winning.
thuggin -N- buggin, that's how i roll!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The bidding may start at $1 but there is probably a "reserve" that the bidding must reach or there's no sale. If it has a reserve you will see "reserve met" posted once the bidding gets to a certain point. Most sellers will not reveal the reserve price before it is met.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

The $1 starting bid is just one way to attract bidders. The strategy for the seller in an auction is to attract as many interested bidders as possible thereby increasing the likelyhood of some spirited bidding. This can result in a much higher final sales price than would be achieved by only a couple of bidders.
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

also - on ebay - the cost of listing an item is on a sliding scale - lowest with $1 starts, and costs more as you raise the opening bid.

pretty sure BA works that way too...
sammy da blade

x

Post by sammy da blade »

BA fee's are a percentage of the sale price. they also have listing fee's, which are nominal. the last knife i sold on BA was about three months ago, i've never been billed for it. unless you sell something for a bizillon dollars it's pretty cheap to sell a knife on BA.
thuggin -N- buggin, that's how i roll!
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

:D Thanks to you all for the info. I can always count on you guys to have the answers.

George
If it isn't an auto it auto be!