Frank Beltrame Kris Blade

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ICOLLECT

Frank Beltrame Kris Blade

Post by ICOLLECT »

I have the opportunity to purchase a 13" Frank Beltrame Switchblade with dark, real horn scales and a polished Kris Blade. Prior to negotiating a purchase price, I want to get your take on estimated value, etc. Thanks.

To all of you other "New Guys" who think that you are asking "Stupid Questions", remember, "There Are No Stupid Questions, Just Stupid Answers" But also remember, you'll never get a "Stupid Answer" from this forum.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Check out Franks site [http://www.italianstiletto.com/] and that will give you a "ballpark" estimate :idea: A single knife ordered from Frank will include overseas shipping charges [about $35] so that total [knife+s&h] is about the most you should pay. Also check out our hosts SKM for a similar item.
ICOLLECT

BELTRAME PRICE

Post by ICOLLECT »

Thanks for the information, I'll look at (And Bookmark) Frank's website.
I had already checked SKM's price, however, it appears that they do not
offer a "Kris Blade" in that particular size. The sizes that do offer a Kris
are the same price as a "Polished Bayonet or Polished Dagger Blade",
which, if equated to the 13", would price it at $98.26 plus shipping.

How does design and quality compare between the two manufacturers?
Is one more desirable than the other to have in your collection?
missaman

Post by missaman »

Mr. I.C.,
There was an extended thread about the cottage industry that produces Italian knives maybe Jim can remember the title.
Missaman
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Mr. IC..

I can't remember the name of the thread either... but if you type "cottage industry" into the search engine at the top of the page you should find it... and others..

The main points being that the Italian knife companies Frank Beltrame... AB... AKC etc. still rely on lots of small "houses" to manufacture most of the knives they sell... and very often.. but not always.. the different companies are supplied by the same maker.. they won't always admit that though... with some claiming they make all that they sell... there are different "houses" making the same style of knife which can result in varying quality.. depending on who makes what for whom. but only Frank seems able to supply the better quality 13 inch Kriss knives... I've no idea why... he may have an exclusive contract with one of the houses or he actually MIGHT make them himself

There is for instance quite a difference between the 11 inch swingers from Frank Beltrame and the ones from AB and AKC.. the most noticable one being the polishing on the metalwork... Frank's look to be "tumble" polished... the others have a much nicer finish which indicates that Frank has a different source from the others.. he of course claims that he makes his himself... which may or may not be the case... they are almost certainly manufactured (assembled) by more than one "house"

The more one learns about the cottage industry that still prevails in Maniago the more confusing the whole thing becomes.... sellers stamps on the knife mean very little .. especially now that lazer engraving is slowly replacing the old-fashioned "impact" stamp... and it rarely did before. .. as in the old days the same makers used different stamps depending on who ordered them.. so a Coricama could be the same as a Latama ...

Confused ??? ... you should be.. :lol:

All the best
Teddy
missaman

Post by missaman »

Thanks Teddy
8)
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Teddy,

Well stated.

Jim
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

To add further complication, all these "houses" use parts from the same suppliers. So aside from knives for which the house actually ownes the tooling, such as the AGA Campolin 15" & 18" and some fish, the differences between knives from the various makers are due mosty to the assembly process and the level of craftsmenship employed. Interesting business model. :roll:
Last edited by natcherly on Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
magnum

Post by magnum »

ICOLLECT-I just got my FrankB 13" Dark Horn Kriss Blade Stiletto today and i must say it is very nice.For a 13" It kicks like a mule i was surprised as my other 13's don't kick nowhere as hard as this one does.Like Teddy said though the tang stamp means virtually nothing.Teddy gave me this history lesson on the Cottage Industry as well and I'm glad he did it really opened my eyes and now i look at each one closely and even though they may have the same Stamp you can see differences in the way they were built.So Here's to you Teddy Thanks so much for the enlightenment 8) 8) :D :D
Knife Addiction??What Knife Addiction??
ICOLLECT

THANKS TO ALL

Post by ICOLLECT »

In the short time in which I've been associated with "TalkBlade" I've learned more about Italian switchblades than I've learned in all the books and publications that I've purchased over the years.
Teddy, your fantastic explanation of the "Cottage Industry" really opened my eyes to the realities of Italian switchblade manufacturing, as it exists today.
Now that I've been made aware of this practise, I am much better prepared to negotiate a purchase.
In closing , I just want to say that I find this website to be the most informative and friendly place for automatic knife collectors, no matter what their preference in style; the more I browse, the more I learn.Thanks to all.
Kenny C

Post by Kenny C »

My thanks also, Teddy!

Your explanation of the cottage industry on this thread is just the kind of
info I'm interested in. As a "newbie", I've been interested in learning more about tang stamps and maker marks. Sure would be nice to be
able to identify the maker of a particular knife by the blade markings.
Something that just can't be done, however. What a pity!

BR
Ken :)