multi tool project

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
jidwah

multi tool project

Post by jidwah »

I am designing a multi tool for climbers, and i need to include an otf mechanism(which i don't know how it works), and plan to make it out of a corrosion resistant material such as stainless steel, but it also needs to be strong enough to support some loading and twisting. If anyone has any advice on selection of material for the blade(which will be in a damp environment and more than likely poorly maintained), or information on how otf mechanisms work, i would love to hear from you, cheers, jid.
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

Okay, now there are a few diffrent types of OTFs. And I'm not an expert with them either. But for the blade I'd reccomed 440 B or C Stainless Steal Mod. Carbon in the blade. Anything less wouldn't hold an edge that long for instance: 420 Stainless Steal. Any more carbon in the blade such as ATS-34 or 154CM would rust up for what work your going to use it for.

Check out the help desk from SKM for how OTF's work. But a decent otf would be adleast 100 - 200 dollars U.S. otherwise it's only good for light use because the blade is too flimsy.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I think a gravity type OTF would be easier and cheaper to make. I think PVK has a cheap one you could disassemble it and get an idea of how it works.
If the blade has to be very strong, light, and rust resistant go with titanium. Edge holding will be less but that's a fair trade off. it will add expense but the gravity type saved about the same amount so you break even.
If titanium isn't possible 440 is fine.
Carbon tool steel [non-stainless] is superior in everything but rust resistance [rusts like crazy but is very strong and holds an edge] maybe with some hi-tec plating or coating it might work.
I'm sure others will add excellent ideas to these.
jidwah

Post by jidwah »

thanks, some things to get started on, but could you tell me what the url for the skm helpdesk is? will have a look for the gravity type OTF, any recommendations of good places to buy from(bearing in mind i am currently in th uk)?
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

How in the hell did ya find this forum then.... anyhow here it is:
http://www.skm.to/bin/skm.cgi/help/main ... 4231102140