UK import duty

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
rapidboy1

UK import duty

Post by rapidboy1 »

Guys this was posted on another forum by a guy who deals in both the US and UK.
He's a good guy to deal with and currently is the cheapest to buy blades from in the UK (non autos) but it looks like thats about to change.
I buy a lot from the US and in future im gonna have to make sure the seller really knows how to ship :wink:

Ok guys.. I just had a chat with customs on the new VAT and Duties fees they are applying.

Well before March 2004 Duties on knives & torches was 5%.. ok we all knew this or most of us did.

Well the UK decided to get into a trading war with the US...well due to this little war At the start of March Duty was increased by 8.5% making it 13.5%, every month for 12 months (from March) Duty will increase by 1%.

Currently Duties are at 17.5% on knives and torches
Next month they will be 18.5% and this will go on till March of 2005 think that tops duties out at 25% is what they said on the phone.

So they take the value of the parcel plus the postage value multiply it by 17.5% for VAT charges..this is set within the EU VAT regulations to include postage.

They take the Value of the Parcel and multiply it by at least 17.5% at this time...next month is 18.5% and so on for each month.

Now we also know that lovely 13.50 fee that Parcel Force charges for delivery of items as well.

o what does this mean... well it means this really f ing sucks! By March 2005 look to be paying 42.5% in Vat & Duties on any item over £18.00, including gifts, plus forking out the 13.50 charge to parcel force.

Ok back to work I go.. just thought I would share this fun and exciting news with everyone. "
[/size]
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

RB,
I'd have to move!!! I couldn't afford those charges the way I've been buying.
What do the people do about it? anything. That really sucks.
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Well, that sucks!
Now you Brits know why we came over here! Something about tea collectors.....
Bill
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Our poor underpaid MP's have to find the money for their pay increases from somewhere... they've taken about all they can from the poor already... and stripped our NHS bare... pensions have been pared to the bone also... there's not much left for them to steal from...

ASSHOLES to the lot of 'em

Teddy
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

I do empathize. As some of you know, I spent time in the UK with my previous employer. My response to Americans that are angry about taxes here: be thankful that you do not have to deal with what our friends in the UK (and elsewhere) have to.

Jim
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

And when we were still a Colony the avearage Colonist paid a total of 1/10 of one percent of his income for his total taxes :!: Ahh those were the days [and I remember them well :wink: ]
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

wow what a rip off!!

is that a protectionistic maneuvre? or just manure :lol:

that really sucks either way!
the spotlight kid

Post by the spotlight kid »

IT'S FUCKING SHIT, THATS WHAT IT IS! I LOVE MY COUNTRY,I'VE PAID MORE THAN MY FAIR OF MY DUES,AND STILL THEY TREAT US AS TURDS!I'VE BEEN AROUND THIS WORLD A FEW TIMES AND NOT MANY OTHER FREE COUNTRIES HAVE RIPPED US OFF LIKE THE GOOD OLD U.K.!FUCK BUSH AND FUCK THAT WANKER BLAIR! :wink: JUST MY HUMBLE AND CORRECT OPINION! :lol: CHEERS JIM! :roll: BOLLOCKS! :wink: CHEERS THE SPOTLIGHT KID. 8)
A CARROT IS AS CLOSE AS A RABBIT GETS TO A DIAMOND!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Spotlight
Don't hold back-tell us how you REALLY feel!
Bill
missaman

Post by missaman »

I was just paying my property taxes before logging on :twisted:
Maybe I shoulden't bitch too much :roll:
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Missaman,

For the first time in months, I visited e-bay today and it appears that you might have to sell some collectibles to pay those hefty property taxes.

If my daughter has her way, I may be funding your state's coffers in the near future.

Jim
rapidboy1

Post by rapidboy1 »

Looks like we might be in for a rough ride guy's :(

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/sho ... ge=1&pp=15

And so it starts.........
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

Hey RB and the passaround guys,
From RBs link about customs I found that they have thier own passaround blade.

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/sho ... php?t=3615
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Yeah, but do they have a lot of rules about posting on their forum :!:

As they note on their forum Britain has some of the most stringent knife and gun laws it the world. When I lived in London years ago, I carried a utility knife with a 6" blade in a scabbard attached to my belt. In plain view. No hassel from bobbies or creeps. You could go into gun stores there and buy stuff you couldn't buy in the US, such as Mausers and Lugers with detachable shoulder stocks. Now I understand you can't buy much of anything anymore, yet the crime rate involving guns is very high. Proof to the old addage, "When guns are banned, only criminals, etc."
Milu

Post by Milu »

It seems to be the way laws and attitudes towards blades are going everywhere. Best stock up now so we can all make a fortune when everything is banned :wink:
"se me burlé, me fico un cento e vinti in tel stomego"
Goldoni: La donna di Garbo, 1753