What is it?

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Mr bigg
They come in all different sizes the one posted would equal posting a 17" bayo with horn.
As far as I'm concerned everyone here was on the right track and how about we call it a Europeon knife with plenty of various influences of other countries combined. Regardless if it is from Mars I like the knife and I also like all the knives posted here, plus I got to look at alot of cutlery websites from France and Spain so the whole thread was a learning experience for me. I wouild love to get a Spanish Ratchet but of high quality most I see are cheesy and go for short money so it's back to spanish websites for me.
PB
BladeLover

Gypsy Knife

Post by BladeLover »

This old design Spanish ratchet style knife influenced the Cold Steel Vaquero models of today and was popular in Argentina amongst the Gauchos, who carried them in their belt sash in the old days. Gypsy robbers in Spain and Argentina often carried this style of knife as their weapon of choice and the ratchet sound of it opening was said to strike fear in the hearts of travelers on the roads they frequented, much like the cocking of a 12 guage pump might.

Best Regards,
BladeLover
"Knife collecting - it's not an addiction....it's an adventure!"
the spotlight kid

Post by the spotlight kid »

Image This is an excellent example of Jose Exposito Picazo's work.Knifemakers for hundreds of years.The quality and finnish are 100% and they are made in limited runs of 150. This other one is a non racheting Navajas handmade by Muela of Spain.The quality of both these knives is superb,yet in comparison,can be bought very reasonably in Spain.The best value knives I have ever bought! Image :wink: Cheers the spotlight kid. 8)
A CARROT IS AS CLOSE AS A RABBIT GETS TO A DIAMOND!
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Very nice kid. I like both but the Muela is really cool. I have about 4 different types of muela's and for the money are great knives. Don't they own or did own Aitor also years ago?
PB
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I think the Spanish Knife business is VERY similar to the Italian [everybody deals with everybody] :wink: The same also applies somewhat to the Germans. Even HERE it happens, Al Mar [Switches] were made by Paragon, who may be staging a big comeback :wink:
rapidboy1

Post by rapidboy1 »

You guys have been busy, great info and pic's.
I will try to do a little family research to see if anyone knows how it came to be here.
My parents had a 250+ year old traditional stone cottage (walls 2 -3 feet thick etc etc) and the family used to give them all kinds of shit to hang on the walls and beams.
It was trap for all kinds of interesting crap (bayonets ,old farming and fishing equiptment hanging on the walls ,a big old fire place with a crook and crane and a black pot above a turf fire!!) but a great place to grow up.
It may have a connection to Egypt because i seem to recall some of the more interesting stuff came from Egypt via some old aunt who served there in the red cross during the war?
Cheers
RB1