Wrist Knife?

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Drake17

Wrist Knife?

Post by Drake17 »

Hey I was just wondering if anyone knew what this kind of knife was and where you could get one: I saw it in a movie a while ago, where a guy slings his hand forward, and out from under his sleeve a knife ejects out and stops to where he can wrap his fingers around the handle. It's probaby just some custom weapon made for the movie, but if anyone knows what I'm talking about and/or where you could get one of these cool gizmos, I'd appreciate it. Thanks. Oh yeah, the movie was "Last Action Hero" I believe.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

If you have any hollywood connections a good prop man can hook you up.You see a cool knife popping into someones hand similiar to the one in Eye of the Needle. What you don't see are the air hoses or ugly do hickys that make the knife work like that attached to the actors arm.
PB
dart

Post by dart »

Silverado is one movie that has similar devices like the gambler has a derringer that comes out of his sleeve. Could have a knife do that too.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

I believe they were real. The drawback being that the derringer was permanatly attached to the rig.It would fly out so far and stop in your hand after adjusting but it remained attached as one piece. The knives they show doing that are once in your hand loose and can be used like any other knife. That is where those merry pranksters in hollywood have there fun. As a kid I had a derringer in a wrist rig (toy) that was spring operated and would send the gun into your hand but they didn't come straight out they were like a sideopening switch so the only way you could use them was if either your sleeves were rolled up or you wore a t-shirt. So even though they were wicked kool they were always exposed otherwise the would just hit the cloth on your sleeve and stop.I think Hasbro made them and I see them time to time on ebay under toy guns.
PB
Drake17

Post by Drake17 »

Hey, thanks for the info guys. I never would have thought about it maybe being a modified derringer. I actually found a site that sells the complete wrist attachment for the gun. They call it a "sleevegun prop." I'm thinking about getting one and modifying it to hold a knife. I'm not sure if the one they're offering actually works or if it's just a "non-firing" replica like you see most of the time.
Mors Profundis

Post by Mors Profundis »

Try a magic supply shop-sleight of hand artists use the rig you want to do card tricks.
Card sharps use it too, but the things that happen to them when they get caught, you do not want to know!
Life has no value, but death has it's price