Identify this knife?

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
TAN344

Identify this knife?

Post by TAN344 »

I have a stiletto knife I have had for years and know nothing about it's origin or value. It is an overall 11" stiletto, with a 5" blade. The handles are Mother-of-Pearl (and are broken.) It has "Rosfrei" stamped on the blade base. I tried to upload photos of it, but they were too large for this format and I do not know how to make the acceptable. If you want to see pictures let me know and I will email them to you, if you provide me that address. I am basically curious about the knife, but I also want to get the handle fixed if possible. How much I spend on that depends on if it is worth doing that beyond my own sentimentality. Please help me identify the knife and direct me to someone who can restore the knife. Thank you in advance.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Identify this knife?

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Mother of pearl is shell.
Your handles are plastic imitation pearl.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
MingOnMongo

Post by MingOnMongo »

BTW, "Rostfrei" is German for 'rust-free' and stamped on a blade it generally just means 'stainless steel'. But if you still have the original plastic handles/scales, these days there's also plenty of vids on YouTube showing how to make a simple DIY silicone mold, and cast custom 'replacement parts' outta epoxy resin.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... fe+handles
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

You can buy sheet Pearloid . . .all flavors. . .you just need to know the correct search words.
White Pearl Pearlescent Marble Cast Acrylic
I've bought 1/4 inch and glued two layers.
Amazon has a page that says .125 thick (1/8 inch) . . . .but it's out of stock.

Otherwise you get trapped in nylon guitar pick material, or Telecaster Pickguard vinyl . . .or thin veneers

Look in guitar Luthier (builders and parts supply) websites for exotic materials. . .fake tortoise shell etc. . .
MingOnMongo

Post by MingOnMongo »

△ Great tip, and as a longtime a fan of replacing OEM with 'custom' scales, wasn't aware of that... thx.
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

I used to stockpile handle materials. . . but I got rid of everything.

You have to get used to buying rare good looking horn on eBay or Amazon
when it is for sale . . . .
and not right when you need it. . . .

I remember having thick sheets of pearloid plastic, usually about 8 inch x 8 inch.

Same goes for really long staghorn. . .you'll never find a 10 inch piece of stag.
you have to buy old staghorn coatracks and cut them up. . .