What's This For ... Came With Whetstone

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Witterings

What's This For ... Came With Whetstone

Post by Witterings »

I bought a 1/2 decent whetstone not that long ago and it came with a "small stone" shown in the attached pics ... being fairly new to whetstones didn't know what it was for ... if I was to take a guess I'd say either cleaning or flattening but if anyone can help would be much appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_0614.JPG
IMG_0614.JPG (162.52 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
IMG_0613.JPG
IMG_0613.JPG (192.07 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
kwackster

Re: What's This For ... Came With Whetstone

Post by kwackster »

That's a nagura stone, which is mainly used for cleaning/removing embedded metal swarf from the surface of your whetstone.
I suppose it could also be used for a bit of flattening as well, but a coarse diamond plate works a lot better and faster for that.
Witterings

Re: What's This For ... Came With Whetstone

Post by Witterings »

kwackster wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:07 am That's a nagura stone, which is mainly used for cleaning/removing embedded metal swarf from the surface of your whetstone.
I suppose it could also be used for a bit of flattening as well, but a coarse diamond plate works a lot better and faster for that.
Aplogies with Xmas I forgot to check back in here so have only just seen the reply but thank you for that and much appreciated :D !