How often do you oil?

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
WheelingWV

How often do you oil?

Post by WheelingWV »

Probably been asked numerous times, but how often do y’all oil your knives? I understand that the answer depends on how often they’re used. Mine are almost exclusively Italian stilettos and are seldom used and are stored in display cases (not air tight). Some are stored closed and some open... (That’s a different topic, all together) Thanks, in advance, for any responses. ...Mark
Mistakes are like knives. They can help us or they can hurt us. It all depends on whether we grab ‘em by the handle or by the blade.
whippersnapper

Re: How often do you oil?

Post by whippersnapper »

If I push the button and they dont open all the way, i give them some lube.
john

Post by john »

What Terry said and I recommend a very light weight oil. My go to oil is “Quick Lube” also available in a small bottle.
A5704DA2-1380-42CB-A60E-FF601F9E3587.jpeg
A5704DA2-1380-42CB-A60E-FF601F9E3587.jpeg (143.79 KiB) Viewed 2371 times
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
WheelingWV

Post by WheelingWV »

Thank you, gentlemen.
Mistakes are like knives. They can help us or they can hurt us. It all depends on whether we grab ‘em by the handle or by the blade.
kwackster

Post by kwackster »

For the best and longest lasting opening & closing action of (semi-) automatic knives as well as all standard folding knives i use either Nano-Oil 5 weight or 10 weight (depends on the tolerances), sparingly and not very often (think months or even years)
For the action of my Moser 1400 electric hair clipper i use Nano-Oil 85 weight, sparingly and not very often. (think months)
For corrosion protection of certain carbon steel blades in my display cabinet i apply one or two thin layers of a good quality car wax, this basically lasts forever when the knife is not used.
It's a cheaper alternative for Renwax, which is used in many museums for the same purposes.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Sometimes I use car wax on carbon steel knives and blued guns that I use in wet weather.

A few years back a company named Militec gave away free samples. It worked pretty good. I'm about out now. They had little tubes of an oil and grease. It was better if you applied it and heated it up with a hair dryer. It was really for military weapons and the heat from firing would supposedly help it inpregnate the metal.
Mostly I just use some 5-20 synthetic motor oil. Seems to work as good as anything else for me.

My wife works in a store and I have her save the small desiccant packs that come in freight. I have a huge bag and put a lot of them in my knife chest as well as ammo cans to help with moisture. So far not much problems with corrosion.
john

Post by john »

I never thought of using car wax. Neutral shoe polish works for me. I use it on blades, horn and basically all scale materials. I’ll have to try the hair dryer.
I use desiccant packets too. They really work.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

8)