New folding knife collector here.........need help..

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

slbd wrote:I find this type of information extremely interresting. It's amazing how many different types of knives and blades one can find. Does anyone know of any good books about the origins of various styles of knives? I am trying to decide what type of knives to collect. Right now, I have a handfull of Case folding knives. I'm thinking of keeping my collection fairly concentrated. Only collecting Case knives, and right now thinking maybe only Case whittlers. Partly as an investment, and mostly for fun of course. Thanks to all who responded.

P.S. Any oppinions as to where the term Jack Knife came from in describing a folding knife? I can see why a pen might be called a pen, and now understand how a stockman may have gotten its name. Just wondering about the Jack.
Pen knife got it's name from it's purpose. Originally used to sharpen quills, used as pens. Someone told me the term is very old and even appears in the Bible.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Pick up an early edition of Levines guide that he was still authorizing and all of it will be there in pics and words.
PB
slbd

Post by slbd »

I was just looking around on the web to find Levines book. I found out that the latest (5'th) edition sux in comparison to the older ones. Does anyone know if that is true? Which edition would you recomend? I have located a 4'th and 5th edition, but don't know if a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd edition would be better.

Thanks for any responses in advance
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

1,2, and 3 are the best. In a pinch for a new collector 4 and 5 will do they are all pretty much rehashes of each other. There is also a book called Knives and razors which is good by Jim Sargent who has been in this game along long time.That I know Borders should have, Also when their skim through whatever Levine book they have and if you like what you see pick it up. Check out the website for knifeworld.com they have tons of books about knives.
PB
slbd

Post by slbd »

o.k......... I have Levine's 1985 and 1993 edition guids on their way via mail. Thanks to all for the suggestions.