Fillet knife?

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
rapidboy1

Fillet knife?

Post by rapidboy1 »

Any recommendations for a cheap and reliable fish filleting knife (i tend to loose and break em) and it needs to be suitable for salt water.
I broke my second Gerber Gator on Friday night.
It shattered quite spectacularly (5 pieces) while i was scraping some lug worm off a hook!!
I wasn't applying an unreasonable pressure , it just let go ,the first one went under similar circumstances.
The blade seemed to be real brittle.
Can temperature have an adverse effect on a blade?
It was about -4 but i didn't think that would be cold enough.

By the way ,6 hours fishing and a bloody cold night spent in the back of a landrover produced 4 small cod! :cry:
Anyone want a couple of rods and reels ,I'll trade them for a nice warm safe switchblade!!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

"Can temperature have an adverse effect on a blade?
It was about -4 but i didn't think that would be cold enough. "
If it was -4c I doubt it, but -4 f in my opinion that is the range where it could begin to have an effect but I don't think enough to make it shatter in to 5 pieces. Good cheap one is an oxymoron, buy the cheapest you can find and get an extra one or two. Or buy the most expensive you can afford and make sure it has a good warranty. Cold Steels choice of Carbon steel is intriguing, they must have great faith in the coating/plating they use on it. I'm a big fan of Carbon steel but I think Stainless is a good choice for a Fillet Knife. Maybe Cold Steel knows something I don't ??? http://www.ltspecpro.com/fixed-blades-filet-knives.html
Claudester

Re: Fillet knife?

Post by Claudester »

rapidboy1 wrote:Any recommendations for a cheap and reliable fish filleting knife (i tend to loose and break em) and it needs to be suitable for salt water.
I broke my second Gerber Gator on Friday night.
It shattered quite spectacularly (5 pieces) while i was scraping some lug worm off a hook!!
I wasn't applying an unreasonable pressure , it just let go ,the first one went under similar circumstances.
The blade seemed to be real brittle.
Can temperature have an adverse effect on a blade?
It was about -4 but i didn't think that would be cold enough.

By the way ,6 hours fishing and a bloody cold night spent in the back of a landrover produced 4 small cod! :cry:
Anyone want a couple of rods and reels ,I'll trade them for a nice warm safe switchblade!!
Hello Rapidboy1,
Go to ebay and buy a couple of these blanks, cut out a handle and you got yourself a real nice knife. I have use these blanks and made quite a few fillet knives for freinds of mine with no complaints. Heres the link
Take Care and have fun doing it

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3671206001
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
rapidboy1

Post by rapidboy1 »

Thanks Mr C.
I also see lots of other good stuff on his ebay store.
Cheers
RB1
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

The co that Gerber owns NORMARK maybe. They make a good cheap one. Something few people realize is go to the loading dock of a local meat plant the knives they use for boning are usually the size of a fillet knife they are sharpened and steeled so often and are made of high carbon steel. Chances are they would give you some from the junkpile or sell you one dirtcheap.
PB