W.Mount & Son Sheffield ?

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
kwackster

W.Mount & Son Sheffield ?

Post by kwackster »

Anyone here familiar with Sheffield maker W.Mount & Son ?
There doesn't seem to be much info about them on the internet, or i'm looking in the wrong places.
The knife itself is definitely a quality piece, with especially the handle construction being strikingly similar to my Wade & Butcher model.
My educated guess would be that the W.Mount & Son is from about the same time frame (1920's - 1930's), and was made with boy scouts and/or hunters in mind.

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

kwackster

Re: W.Mount & Son Sheffield ?

Post by kwackster »

On Bladeforums member Jack Black had this to say:

"The knife is one of the Sheffield 'Town Pattern's, made by hundreds of firms, and still made in Sheffield today. It is one of the patterns described in Sheffield as a 'Whittle-Tang Bowie'. Tens of thousands were sold to Boy Scouts, and so they were sometimes referred to as 'Scout Knives', with at least one early maker (Maleham & Yeoman) etching the blade 'Scouts Woodcraft Knife'. W.Mount also made Girl Guide Knives, a small folder with a Sheepsfoot blade and Marlin Spike, of which I have an example, but they seem to have been an obscure company."
kwackster

Re: W.Mount & Son Sheffield ?

Post by kwackster »

Just finished with a bit of TLC and hand regrinding the blade to it's original full convex zero edge shape again.
Based on this i suspect it's also crucible steel (much more wear resistant than comparable German blades), and i wouldn't be surprised if the steel has a certain amount of tungsten carbides in it, or something similar.
It definitely wants to be sharp. (like reverse chest hair whittling sharp with an 800 grit SiC finish)

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage