Yet again, the innocent victim...

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ratstuph

Yet again, the innocent victim...

Post by ratstuph »

...of really good customer service! The story starts a few months ago ("Auto I should, auto I not?"[as some of you might remember {this pretty much leaves out those of you who recently celebrated another year's worth of exchanging oxygen for carbon dioxide by killing off your few random surviving brain cells}]) when I was debating getting either a manual or auto version of a BM Stryker.
After a great deal of thinking (anything over 60 seconds is a great deal for me [what with having the attention span of a hyperactive gnat on crack]) I chose the BM, full-sized, manual version of the Stryker--mostly because (were I ever to grow up) I want to be just like Bad-Bob. So I got a really good deal on a used one that had just one little problem. The original owner had filed the coined edges of the thumb-stud smooth (with a Dremel, I suppose) and had slightly marred the blade in a couple of spots.
While the seller had not mentioned that, he claimed he had not looked at it for a few months prior to sale and was willing to make an adjustment. I was OK with that so moved on to addressing the problems with the knife.
I got the thumb-stud off pretty easy and worked on smoothing out the mars on the blade and had some limited success--as good as I will do without a grinding wheel setup. Then I contacted BM's customer service/warranty department (Angie [the angel]) and asked about cost of a new thumb-stud. I explained that it was a second hand purchase and they/she said mail the knife to them and they would replace it free (Shazaam!).
So I did, and noted that the knife was also a bit loose compared to my newer, smaller Stryker (somewhat to be expected given the likely age of the full-sized and that it was advertised as a knife that had been used as a work-knife). The knife also was a bit dirty due to previous use and my attempts to buff the blade. I offered to pay for anything they considered "not covered by warranty."
A few days ago the knife returns to me (no charge!) with new thumb-stud, tightened way up, and cleaned up too! All this for the price of USPS shipping to BM. That's pretty dedicated customer service to me. Were I in a quandary about purchasing a BM product as compared with another manufacturer's, the quality of customer service I received would likely be a big factor for me.
Happy trails...
sheep-free since '93'...
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

Its always great to hear about the companies that still understand what alot of us knife nuts want in customer service.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Despite the fact I was not the original owner, and I suspected it was an aftermarket replacement that broke, Tompson Center sent me a hammer spring for my Contender that arrived the next day!!!!!!!!!
[Yes I'm in the same state but I called at around 4:30 and explained the circumstances and my suspicions].
Service like this makes a very loyal customer.
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

that's good to hear ratz! it's good to know they stand behind their products... i'm awaiting my first ever BM's - veeerrry excited!