German Trench daggers!

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Hombre

German Trench daggers!

Post by Hombre »

Got these two in a deal…. I am not familiar with these kind of daggers….
For me, it look like German Trench Daggers but do you think they are real?
I really should appreciate any opinions at all….

/Stefan
Sweden
IMG_6626.JPG
IMG_6626.JPG (149.13 KiB) Viewed 3214 times
IMG_6625.JPG
IMG_6625.JPG (109.3 KiB) Viewed 3214 times
IMG_6624.JPG
IMG_6624.JPG (102.69 KiB) Viewed 3214 times
IMG_6623.JPG
IMG_6623.JPG (163.18 KiB) Viewed 3214 times
IMG_6622.JPG
IMG_6622.JPG (162.66 KiB) Viewed 3214 times
sammy the blade

Re: German Trench daggers!

Post by sammy the blade »

They look German but I'd think they would have some type of marking on the blade tang if they were.
2024 candidate for president
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Hombre

These both look correct and original to me.

The colour of the wood is correct ...many foreign copies have a darker wood which is indigenous to their countries but the Germans often used oak which was plentiful.

The grooves look sharply cut on the handles,the guards are well cast and retain the original blueing on them and the pitting on the blade looks in keeping with the General age of these knives
I am sure also that the press stud attachment on the sheath which has a marking looks familiar from somewhere when I was looking these up .I will try and remember.The sheath s themselves look well made and retain the original leather and show age commensurate with usage.

I would be advise you to get a better opinion than mine Stefan from a dagger forum but I like the look of them and would buy one from you for my collection.

Lovely knives, and I hope your well Sir.
You keep popping up with some of my favourite war weapons. :)

regards

Ian
arlen

Post by arlen »

sammy the blade wrote:They look German but I'd think they would have some type of marking on the blade tang if they were.
I totally agree with that assessment. If they were military issue (Franco-German War, WWI or WWII) they would bear markings.
Regards,
arlen
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Arlen you could be right

However most german bayonets were maker marked(Not all) ,but fighting knives were often only stamped with letters ...sometimes not at all.,especially when the war was in full flow.

Notice the D in picture 1 and the remnants of a mark in picture 2 that possibly wore off...it's a possible mark that pertains to a certain manufacturer name or town.

It's best Stefan asks at Wehrmacht awards to be sure.

I love the extended guard example

gravknife
Hombre

Post by Hombre »

Thanks for your thoughts, guys! I really appreciate it!

This is the answer I got from a guy who collect those in the Military knives and daggers of the world forum:

No problems here, both of these are good original WW1 German trench knives.
The top knife is army issued made by E Busch, it should be maker marked on the opposite ricasso,
the bottom is a ‘Leupold’ type knife, probably private purchase, some are maker marked, many are not.
Both have correct WW1 scabbards.
Nice and collectable!

Best,
Stefan