WHAT IS THE VALUE OF MY ROSTFREI KNIFE

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
NHsnowHATER

WHAT IS THE VALUE OF MY ROSTFREI KNIFE

Post by NHsnowHATER »

I recently found a 15in ROSTFREI switchblade with KRIS blade and faux pearl handle among my things. It appears to be brand new. I called an online consignment place which said the last one they sold was for $243 but because mine has a back lock (it's a metal button of sorts on the side of the handle of the knife that allows the knife to be locked into place) that would add an additional value of approx $30. I have no idea if this is accurate. Please help! Thanks!!
sammy the blade

Re: WHAT IS THE VALUE OF MY ROSTFREI KNIFE

Post by sammy the blade »

Pictures would be a great help to get answers.
2024 candidate for president
NHsnowHATER

Post by NHsnowHATER »

Knife in open position and knife closed position..
Attachments
IMG_4478.JPG
IMG_4478.JPG (849.47 KiB) Viewed 23509 times
IMG_4477.JPG
IMG_4477.JPG (831.5 KiB) Viewed 23509 times
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

I have never saw one like it! I'm sure someone will come along and have some answers to your questions. Lots of knowledge here.
2024 candidate for president
NHsnowHATER

Post by NHsnowHATER »

Thanks anyway!
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

A manual humpback stiletto most likely of Italian manufacture. To close the knife, you push the hump and it lifts the lock tab. Don't recognize the logo on the medallion. There is a crack from the middle pin holding the scale. It extends to the back spring. These are not terribly rare; certainly not worth anywhere near the quote you got. Check out eBay. These are legal to sell there and a number show up from time to time.

Sorry I don't have better news.
NHsnowHATER

Post by NHsnowHATER »

I appreciate the response. It's definitely ROSTFREI and I had a older gentleman who has a flea market of sorts look at it and he looked at the blade under a magnifying glass and said it's definitely made in Italy. Unfortunately he had no idea what the value was either. The place that quoted the value is nicnac.net i think. It was the only place that popped up when I entered the info I posted here. I did try to list it on EBAY but my posting was removed because this is a "weapon" even though I lusted it as a collector item because I didn't think anyone would actually use it to cut something (or someone for that matter). Again, thank you though!
NHsnowHATER

Post by NHsnowHATER »

*listed
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Gee, I'm surprised ebay turned down your listing. There are many there. You didn't try to list it as a "switchblade", did you? I see you called it a Rostfrei (meaning stainless) switchblade (which it's a manual, not a switchblade) in your original inquiry...I just checked ebay and it appears the manual stiletto prices are higher now than the last time I looked.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
NHsnowHATER

Post by NHsnowHATER »

I did list it as a switchblade. I'll try to list it again once I figure out its value. And thank you for the clarification (what ROSTFREI means, the locking mechanism, etc)...I don't collect or use knives (serious knives) but it's been fascinating to learn about them!
big_slim

Post by big_slim »

The logo on the medallion is the Edge Co. logo. The Edge Co. sold all kinds of cheap, Asian import switchblades as well as some Italian made automatic and manual stilettos. This is one of the Italian made knives. Probably made in the 1980's. The value for your 15" manual stiletto is considerably less than an actual switchblade--even though they look similar. The person you talked to who gave you a value for the knife probably thought you had an actual switchblade rather than a manual stiletto.
NHsnowHATER

Post by NHsnowHATER »

Thank you for the info!
picklocksrock

Post by picklocksrock »

Cool knife switch or no switch.
“Tough times never last, but tough people do”
-Robert H. Shuller