Guerre de fils paris?

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Brushinmd

Guerre de fils paris?

Post by Brushinmd »

Found this knife at a junk store and fell in love. Would like to know more about it thanks for the info in advance
Attachments
Attach01.jpg
Attach01.jpg (127.21 KiB) Viewed 4265 times
john

Re: Guerre de fils paris?

Post by john »

Does it have a metal spine? Is that a ring I see to release the blade?
The horn is lovely nice texture and color. The blade type is awesome!
The stamp is French, but I looks like a Spanish made knife.
I'm sure someone here will have more information.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Brushinmd

Post by Brushinmd »

It's does have a metal spine that locks the blade on a metal pin. There is a ring attached to the spine.
john

Post by john »

This knife I picked up about 10 years ago. It's a Spanish folder I think it's 8 or 9 inches with a horn handle. It has a fulcrum release.
I like the shape of your knife over mine.

Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Brushinmd

Post by Brushinmd »

Definitely the same style locking mechanism. That is a very nice knife too. Any idea how old yours is?
Federico C.

Post by Federico C. »

Hi Brushinmd, that's a model with deer horn handle that was produced in France, Spain and Italy. A French production center was in Langres, in Italy in Maniago, I don't know the name of Spanish towns in which it was made. This one could have been built between 1850 and 1950, but if I had to bet I would say the end of 1800. Sorry if I can't be more precise.

The name on the blade could be, as we coud expect, the signature of the knifemaker but even the name of a cutlery shop or, as it used to happen in France, a fantasy name given for commercial purposes.

There is a dispute if that blade blocking mechanism was invented in Spain or in Italy, but it is plausible that it was invented in Rome in 17th century.
Here in Italy it's called "Molla fissa" Fixed spring, obviously not because it doesn't move, but because it fixes the blade in opening position.
It was used un many duel knives and is some areas it was illegal (so that many knives produced with that locking system didn't have a signature)
This spring is, with some well known intermediate steps, a sort of Grandma for modern lock back system.
Hombre

Post by Hombre »

Brushinmd,I do not know anything about your knife more than that for me it just look fantastic! I really love that style....
Thanks for sharing.

/Stefan
Sweden
Brushinmd

Post by Brushinmd »

Any idea on value also? Thanks for the info that is more than I've been able to find in 2 years.
Brushinmd

Post by Brushinmd »

Thanks Stephan your welcome
Federico C.

Post by Federico C. »

You are welcome! the market for these knives is a bit strange. I can talk about Italy and for what I know, about Europe.
There are knives (especially big duel knives) that reach very high prices, for the others in these years there is less interest.
A golden rule here in Italy is that price increases dramatically with two simple "more" rules: More point and more size.

I've seen knives of the same style but bigger and with engravings on the blade sold at 200-300 USD, but this is a simplier specimen. I think that In Europe a knife like yours would be sold maybe between 40 and 60 USD, unless you find a person who is looking exclusively for that knife ...
Maybe such a peculiar shape in the USA could increase its value a little, but it's just a Saturday morning assumption :D

Hope it helps!
Brushinmd

Post by Brushinmd »

Well I didn't lose money and got a great piece of history that's more than worth it for me. Thanks again.