Problem with my spring assist

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
glowingthehero

Problem with my spring assist

Post by glowingthehero »

So a couple months back on my yearly trip to Arkansas I bought this generic stainless spring assist flipper. The blade is black and the handle scales are black G10. So the problem with it is after a while the liner lock started drifting so when the blade is open the liner lock now drifts so far to the right that the blade can fold over the lock to cut me. Does anyone know how to fix this?
sammy the blade

Re: Problem with my spring assist

Post by sammy the blade »

Don't know what you paid for it but if it's a cheapie, which I assume it is or you wouldn't have a problem maybe you could bend it back. If it's a quality knife you could send it back to whoever the maker is and they may fix it for you. Good luck!
2024 candidate for president
john

Post by john »

I know how to fix your knife. You need to tighten all the screws. I just fixed my friends spring assist with the same exact problem that you are dealing with. The pivot pin was loose and some of the handle screws were loose I tightened them up and it works like new. I was fortunate to have the proper bets for my screwdriver. The screws had a hexagon socket.
Good luck,
John
Last edited by john on Thu May 18, 2017 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
sammy the blade

Wow, I didn't even think of that. Where did you find the bits at?
john

Post by john »

You can get the bits on line check out Amazon or your local hardware store and another place where you can find them would be a craft store or a hobby store.
Good luck let us know how you make out.
John

sharpslash1

Post by sharpslash1 »

Home Depot or Menards has them, you need a Torx driver, size T-6 for the handle screws and a T-8 for pivot screw that's all you need for most knives. Some are alan wrench, but most knives are torx screws.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

glowingthehero

Post by glowingthehero »

john wrote:I know how to fix your knife. You need to tighten all the screws. I just fixed my friends spring assist with the same exact problem that you are dealing with. The pivot pin was loose and some of the handle screws were loose I tightened them up and it works like new. I was fortunate to have the proper bets for my screwdriver. The screws had a hexagon socket.
Good luck,
John
tried it and it didn't work ended up just taking it apart and bending it the other way until it was working again
glowingthehero

Post by glowingthehero »

sammy the blade wrote:Don't know what you paid for it but if it's a cheapie, which I assume it is or you wouldn't have a problem maybe you could bend it back. If it's a quality knife you could send it back to whoever the maker is and they may fix it for you. Good luck!
big help thank you sammy
john

Post by john »

glowingthehero wrote:
john wrote:I know how to fix your knife. You need to tighten all the screws. I just fixed my friends spring assist with the same exact problem that you are dealing with. The pivot pin was loose and some of the handle screws were loose I tightened them up and it works like new. I was fortunate to have the proper bets for my screwdriver. The screws had a hexagon socket.
Good luck,
John
tried it and it didn't work ended up just taking it apart and bending it the other way until it was working again
I'm glad you were able to fix it.
John

sammy the blade

Glad I could help you out!
davidguetta402

Post by davidguetta402 »

Just got New ZT 561,, flipper doesn't work,,their no spring action in it ,beautiful knife but I thought it would open up like the ZT 301, in fact, you go to flip it and it won't lock in place without a flick of the wrist anyone else having this problem,,????

It's new, play with it awhile and if it still doesn't work try loosening the pivot screw a little.