Damascus straight razor

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ILikeStilettos

Damascus straight razor

Post by ILikeStilettos »

While exploring Facebook I came across this Adnan Goraya piece, one of two in different colors. It's kind of off my radar, but the lovely filework and the green and black diamondwood handles caught my eye, plus it was under $90 shipped to the US in high speed DHL (five days). So I bought it. Not quite sure what I am going to do with it, but it's a pretty cool conversation piece.

It weighs in at 5.2 oz. (147 g) and 9-1/2" (24,1 cm) open or 5-1/2" (14 cm) closed (not counting the 'flipper'). I've never been much of a fan of diamondwood, but the little scallops make it look really great because they expose the lower layers and create a very interesting grain pattern. It's also non-slip, though I have no intention of shaving with this beast. I've always heard that's the ultimate in great shaves once you have the technique down and it would help navigate around some cultivated facial hair ... but I prefer my throat in one piece and the blood on the inside of my body.

The blade is made from .192" (4,9 mm) twist Damascus with some stellar patterns.

The liners look like 1/16" (1,5 mm) thick brass, coined all the way around.

It wasn't until I looked at this shot that I realized the builder's clever use of another piece of green diamondwood as a tail spacer. Aesthetically, this is beautiful, and practically, it cushions the tip of the razor when you close it.

Thanks for having a look and listening to my ramblings.
Last edited by ILikeStilettos on Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
sammy the blade

Re: Damascus razor

Post by sammy the blade »

I wouldn't trust myself shaving with it either. It's a beauty!
2024 candidate for president
john

Post by john »

Hi Dave,
The Damascus pattern reminds me of a fingerprint. The green diamond wood looks great. The file work is stunning very very nice. I can't recall ever seeing a straight edge razor with brass liners. I can only recall seeing straight edged razors with out brass liners. Your razor appears to be thicker than most straight edge razors. You're straight edge razor is made to last very long time. I like it and it should go well with your colorfully scaled knives.
John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
daddyloko

Post by daddyloko »

When I read the headline, I figured "Oh Boy, someone got A BURN." Dave, what a treat, that has got to be the most wicked straight edge razor I've seen posted on this forum. Fantastic find.
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

john wrote:Hi Dave,
The Damascus pattern reminds me of a fingerprint. The green diamond wood looks great. The file work is stunning very very nice. I can't recall ever seeing a straight edge razor with brass liners. I can only recall seeing straight edged razors with out brass liners. Your razor appears to be thicker than most straight edge razors. You're straight edge razor is made to last very long time. I like it and it should go well with your colorfully scaled knives.
John
Grazie mille, Giancarlo.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

daddyloko wrote:When I read the headline, I figured "Oh Boy, someone got A BURN." Dave, what a treat, that has got to be the most wicked straight edge razor I've seen posted on this forum. Fantastic find.
What a thoughtful comment, Abe! I am very honored. (I also changed the title to avoid further confusion)
Last edited by ILikeStilettos on Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

john

Post by john »

The more I look at your razor the more it looks like a knife. It's a beast in a good way!
Having done file work I can appreciate the time, effort and energy that went into all of the file work. Thumbs up!
John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
DonC

Post by DonC »

While not my cup of tea I can still appreciate the design, materials and workmanship that went into it. Someone obviously spent considerable time and effort to produce a memorable piece. Congrats on the find.
DonC
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

john wrote:The more I look at your razor the more it looks like a knife. It's a beast in a good way!

Having done file work I can appreciate the time, effort and energy that went into all of the file work. Thumbs up!
John
DonC wrote:While not my cup of tea I can still appreciate the design, materials and workmanship that went into it. Someone obviously spent considerable time and effort to produce a memorable piece. Congrats on the find.
DonC
It wasn't exactly my cup of tea either, but the offer was too good to pass up. The Pakistani stuff has always gotten sort of disparaging reviews because it sold on Ebay for next to nothing. Those guys are living in poverty and all they have is skill with the crudest of working conditions. They've now discovered Facebook and doubled their prices, which is still a bunch cheaper than any American craftsman can afford to work for. Each piece comes in a baggie just dripping with oil. Once they are cleaned up, the workmanship is superb and the materials are top of the heap.

I just liked the look of this piece, ya know? The price was too good to pass up. I figured when I got tired of it I could give it to a barber friend, but it's growing on me and I'm liking it better and better every day. I know Gulraiz can do the same thing, or better, and this is probably not Adnan's best work either. You should really check out Facebook, there are at least ten of these guys just flashing stunning pieces all of the time.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

Fishtail Picklock

Re: Damascus straight razor

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

The last time I "cultivated" hair, Jimmy Carter was in office.... and I was using Miracle Gro plant food!
Fishtail Picklock
ILikeStilettos

Re: Damascus straight razor

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Fishtail Picklock wrote:The last time I "cultivated" hair, Jimmy Carter was in office.... and I was using Miracle Gro plant food!
I had a friend who cautioned, "I never cultivate on my face what grows wild on my ass." None the less, every time I shave "cleanly" my wife objects. File that one under "too much information." :shock:

I once wore a full beard for several months, then shaved it off as a surprise. Six WEEKS later she noticed. It was so long, I'd forgotten what I had done. It was a pretty good clue that that marriage was ending. :roll:
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690