Schrade "Old Timer" 15OT "Deerslayer"

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Fishtail Picklock

Schrade "Old Timer" 15OT "Deerslayer"

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

I know that it's made from Chinese 7Cr17 "High Carbon"(?) Stainless Steel, but this thing looks big! 5.6" of steel (heck, these things have more metal than a high-end radial)! While they may not be the greatest knives in the world, but they have been known to skin and gut 3 Whitetail deer before having to be taken back to the whitestone or Spyderco Triangle "Sharpmaker". I'm snagging one for about $22.00. I figure that for that kind of money, that it will outperform my new "Sharpfinger" by a substantial margin.

Any opinions on how well these work in the field? :?:
Last edited by Fishtail Picklock on Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fishtail Picklock
Fishtail Picklock

Re: Schrade "Old Timer" 15OT "Deerslayer"

I received the "Old Timer Deerslayer" Today and in about 3 minutes the knife was right up to snuff. It takes a "razor's edge" fairly quickly and seems to be stout enough to tackle any skinning needs without any problem. Heck, I now have five knives suitable for skinning duty. Now I have to decide which to take into the field in the autumn of 2018.

Decisions, decisions.
Fishtail Picklock
john

Post by john »

Photo please. I love pictures. I know I can Google it and get an image but I'd rather see your knife.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Fishtail Picklock

I don't know how to use the camera on my folding tablet. Otherwise, I would post a photo. I do like this knife. It's a big one! :)
Fishtail Picklock
Fishtail Picklock

Yes, it is. I bought it from Woodbury Outfitters for $22.30 shipped to my door. This is a great piece of steel for the money. The 7Cr17MoV Stainless Steel is just a step above the usual 440A that comes out of the People's Republic of China. This "fit and finish" is excellent and I've put a good edge on it. I DO like this knife. The Chinese do a good job reproducing this 1964 Schrade/Walden classic. This is a VERY cool piece of classic hunting/camping cutlery. You can't beat the price, and it "works like a soul inspired" in the kitchen too. Cutting up a whole chicken, slabs of bacon and fish are "all in a day's work" when it comes to Schrade's "Deerslayer". It takes it all in stride and comes back for more. No "one-trick-pony" here. This knife is both versatile and impressive.

If you would like a good chuckle, I turned the retainer strap around and threaded the sheath onto my belt in the inverted position... The knife concealed handily beneath my sports jacket. Could you imagine someone dressed that way suddenly producing a large 5.6" upswept-blade skinning knife from beneath it? Will I carry it that way? Probably not, but it is good to know that the option is available.
Fishtail Picklock
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

That would freak me out, probably poop myself and shoot myself in the foot, lol!
2024 candidate for president
Fishtail Picklock

The more I handle this knife, the better I like it. This knife, save for the difference in the blade alloy, is as good as the Schrade "Deerslayers" from back in the day. The fit and finish are excellent and it takes a nice edge. I just wish that I could find an identical knife in 1095 Carbon Steel or 440C. (I'd be willing to bet that I could have one manufactured for about $55.00 or so).
Fishtail Picklock
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Nice allrounder .
Lovely shape.
Heres a picture of it i found.

Ian
Attachments
31TQriTfIfL._SY400_.jpg
31TQriTfIfL._SY400_.jpg (10.3 KiB) Viewed 5914 times
Fishtail Picklock

Isn't it impressive? It is such a wonderful "all around performer". Ian: If there's a way I could ship you one of these so that the Crown wouldn't tax the crap out of you for it, I would. Is there such a way? I presume these aren't illegal in Britain.
Fishtail Picklock
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Fishtail Picklock
These aren't illegal in England and I've seen on for sale at a place called heinnie Haines here whilst posting your photo.They are very expensive here though ,its 65 pounds for one .

Some years ago I had a schrade old timer that resembled this exact knife ,and I have a schrade X Skinner somewhere with gut hook,rubber handle and cordura sheath.In the 90s I had a few schrade scrimshaw knives I wish i'd kept aswell.

Thanks for offering to ship FP ,i'm trying for my first American switchblade this week and it will probably cost a fair penny this side of the pond.

Regards
Ian