Bought bad knife

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Patrick1220

Bought bad knife

Post by Patrick1220 »

I just got a leverlock swing guard for Christmas, from my wife, who innocently and naively got it from those sociopaths at autoknife.com (the owner put all my personal contact information on his website after I asked him to fix my problem, that and a request that I kiss his bum publicly [seriously dude?]) any way, the thumb trigger for this knife is bent and needs to be replaced...any suggestions for where to turn or who to contact? Bare in mind my wife already paid $200.00 for this loving gift, so the repair needs to be good, but fair, thank you. :oops: PS. It has a "Hubertus - THE GUARDIAN" blade so it IS worth keeping... I think :roll: Thank you kindly, Patrick1220
Last edited by Patrick1220 on Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patrick1220

Re: Bought bad knife

Post by Patrick1220 »

PS...it has a "Hubertus" "THE GUARDIAN" blade so it IS worth keeping!
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Patrick
Can you post a picture?
You go to full editor and preview below a post then press add files.....you can select 3 pics from your album or downloads or camera .
It will give people an idea on what needs fixing and how the lever is bent .
Welcome to TB by the way someone with fixing skills will help you for sure.
Guardians are lovely knives mate .

Ian
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

I'd like to see this too. I believe you are talking about the lever. The Guardian I have has a pretty straight lever but some of my other Guardians have levers that have a slight arc.

Does your knife have any functional issues? If you just need a replaced lever, I have one you can have.
Patrick1220

Post by Patrick1220 »

Thank you very much Ian, looking forward to making friends... here's a picture...
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Patrick
Jeremy is excellent with knife repair and was after a guardian some time back ,he will give you good advice mate.
The pictures havnt come through .
Try it again and watch for file size

Ian
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

I have a few levers which have a noticeable bend in them also.
Does the knife work well when you press the lever?
If so it may just be be cosmetic and not an issue.
Keep trying the pics and preview your rey to see if they will be shown.
Best of luck here
Ian
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Thanks, Ian, I appreciate it. Although, if it does need work, I think Huberti are supposed to go to Hubertus sanctioned repair guys.
Patrick1220

Post by Patrick1220 »

I'm so sorry the picture is not coming through. I'm embarrassed, no matter if I take the picture or import from the gallery it still says "file too large" so I'll try to explai...It appears that the piece for your thumb (with the hole in it) might be too small because one side of the split sits down inbetween the bolster assembly split causing it to slant as well as only use the other side of the split as the fulcrum and causing much wear on that side split...does that make any sense fellas??
Patrick1220

Post by Patrick1220 »

Oh and thank you so very much for all your kind replies on this matter, finally no one making fun of the newly and naive knife enthusiast. I'm a late (52), starter. I appreciate this guys THANK YOU! Patrick1220
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

I think I know exactly what you mean: the lever is only prying up on one side. That isn't the worst thing in the world, I don't think it would ever do anything bad to the knife, but it is annoying and can make it awkward to fire the knife. I would still like to see it though. I think you might need to have a new lever put on but I'd need to see it.

E-mail me the pic at jtkreis@gmail.com and I will post it here.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Okay, here is the knife. Send it to any Hubertus guy (Bill will probably be the easier to get a hold of here), t's a simple fix. It probably doesn't need a new lever. If the prongs were pried apart a little, it might fit just fine. If you do need a new one you can have mine.
Attachments
Lever 2.jpg
Lever 2.jpg (33.49 KiB) Viewed 4499 times
Patrick1220

Post by Patrick1220 »

Wow, thank you so very much!! I will e-mail you my address so you can send it to me, if bill doesn't use it ill send it back, is that ok?
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Yeah, that's fine. Actually, Bill should get back to you by this evening and he will know if the lever needs to be replaced. If he says it does, send me your address.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Patrick 1220, quit while your ahead! You don't want end up like the rest of us knife junkies. You have a nice knife and there is a good one's list on this forum. It's a list of recommend sellers who are honest and a lot of people here have bought knives through them. Stick with the list and you shouldn't have problems like this in the future. Welcome aboard!
2024 candidate for president