Non-automatic stilettos.............

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Rey Zhourej

Non-automatic stilettos.............

Post by Rey Zhourej »

Didn't see a thread about these so I thought I'd post some pictures of ones that I own.There are quite a few variations on the original stiletto and if I may I would like to catalogue them as I know them. Probably not historically accurate but here goes anyway:
The first iteration is the ones that were manufactured just after the USA ban on interstate shipping of automatic knives. Some of these were nearly identical to the autos but the button was inoperative and a nail mark was cut into the half ground blade.The blade lock still required inserting a fingernail under it to release the blade.Horn handles were still the norm.
The second iteration had the button removed and a small nickel silver disc inserted into the hole. Probably just using up pre-drilled scales.The blade release was incorporated into the back spring to ease closing of the blade.
The third version saw a change of the blade to a full flat ground blade. I only have one of these so they probably didn't make a lot of them. I have several autos that feature this type of blade and usually have the pivoting bolster as well.
The next change was to a clip profile blade and the introduction of plastic scales in place of the horn. Another change on some was the elimination of the pin on the tang that fit into the lock mechanism;relying on spring pressure to hold the blade open.
The final iteration was having the knives made in Japan and Germany.Gutmaan Cutlery had knives made in both countries. Also was the rise in popularity of the knives made by Kissing Crane that featured both clip blades and kris style blades.
One of the more unusual ones I have is an Italian stiletto that features two blades.One is a shortened full grind blade and the second one(located in the back end)is a sort of sheepfoot blade.
Anyway that is my capsule history and now for some pictures.
Attachments
MiscellaneousNonAutomaticStilettos2016 046.jpg
MiscellaneousNonAutomaticStilettos2016 046.jpg (48.14 KiB) Viewed 6111 times
MiscellaneousNonAutomaticStilettos2016 040.jpg
MiscellaneousNonAutomaticStilettos2016 040.jpg (53.99 KiB) Viewed 6111 times
MiscellaneousNonAutomaticStilettos2016 026.jpg
MiscellaneousNonAutomaticStilettos2016 026.jpg (40.8 KiB) Viewed 6111 times
MiscellaneousNonAutomaticStilettos2016 003.jpg
MiscellaneousNonAutomaticStilettos2016 003.jpg (48.14 KiB) Viewed 6111 times
MiscellaneousNonAutomaticStilettos2016 001.jpg
MiscellaneousNonAutomaticStilettos2016 001.jpg (62.85 KiB) Viewed 6111 times
EIGCutlery 001.jpg
EIGCutlery 001.jpg (54.22 KiB) Viewed 6111 times
AutoKnife 016.jpg
AutoKnife 016.jpg (56.11 KiB) Viewed 6111 times
AutoKnife 015.jpg
AutoKnife 015.jpg (57.13 KiB) Viewed 6111 times
Rey Zhourej

Re: Non-automatic stilettos.............

Post by Rey Zhourej »

A couple more
Attachments
StilettoNonAuto 001.jpg
StilettoNonAuto 001.jpg (60.96 KiB) Viewed 6110 times
MiscellaneousNonAutomaticStilettos2016 052.jpg
MiscellaneousNonAutomaticStilettos2016 052.jpg (44.96 KiB) Viewed 6110 times
MiscellaneousNonAutomaticStilettos2016 048.jpg
MiscellaneousNonAutomaticStilettos2016 048.jpg (45.01 KiB) Viewed 6110 times
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Rey
These are beautiful non autos .
I have wanted one of these for a while as when I was a youngster I carried a black bayonet bladed example as it was the closest I could get to a switchblade,great for a youngster who was watching the warriors and the wanderers on betamax video rentals at the time.
I believe it was japanese and id love to get it back .It closely resembled the EIG cutlery example you posted but had the hump release on the spring .
These are great looking knives and I paricularly like the double blader and stag kriss bladed example.
Im not well up on them,and cant bid when I see them on ebay, but its great to have old memories of my misspent youth rekindled .
You have a great collection of all kinds of different knives and thanks for posting them.Please keep them coming.
Hope your well

Ian
AMDAZ

Post by AMDAZ »

VERY nice collection. Like the last one pictured.Stag looking scales + durable.You must have a few when open over 14 inches. Wow :D
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I missed this post until now! Sorry! Great knives! I too like the non auto ones, and had them as a teen also. I agree with most of your history. The fake buttons and silver plugs were said to be added to make them attractive to the US market not because they were left overs. These knives were still sold all over Europe for many years later. The clip style blades were started when US Customs started to stop the import of Bayo blades. Very nice collection!
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

Rey Zhourej wrote:Didn't see a thread about these so I thought I'd post some pictures of ones that I own.There are quite a few variations on the original stiletto and if I may I would like to catalogue them as I know them. Probably not historically accurate but here goes anyway:
The first iteration is the ones that were manufactured just after the USA ban on interstate shipping of automatic knives. Some of these were nearly identical to the autos but the button was inoperative and a nail mark was cut into the half ground blade.The blade lock still required inserting a fingernail under it to release the blade.Horn handles were still the norm.
The second iteration had the button removed and a small nickel silver disc inserted into the hole. Probably just using up pre-drilled scales.The blade release was incorporated into the back spring to ease closing of the blade.
The third version saw a change of the blade to a full flat ground blade. I only have one of these so they probably didn't make a lot of them. I have several autos that feature this type of blade and usually have the pivoting bolster as well.
The next change was to a clip profile blade and the introduction of plastic scales in place of the horn. Another change on some was the elimination of the pin on the tang that fit into the lock mechanism;relying on spring pressure to hold the blade open.
The final iteration was having the knives made in Japan and Germany.Gutmaan Cutlery had knives made in both countries. Also was the rise in popularity of the knives made by Kissing Crane that featured both clip blades and kris style blades.
One of the more unusual ones I have is an Italian stiletto that features two blades.One is a shortened full grind blade and the second one(located in the back end)is a sort of sheepfoot blade.
Anyway that is my capsule history and now for some pictures.
Beautiful collection you have there. My first love of the stiletto was and is the manual ones. Not including the KCs, Falcons or EdgeCo, Here are a couple of mine.

One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Cool!
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Claudester Good to see you posting !!!!!! How have you been? I love your collection!!! Are any of those white pearlx ones in the plastic bags Bayos or all clip blades?
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

I'm doing good as I hope you are. I think they are all clips but I'll take a look later today. I bought a couple of hundred of these in all types of scales and sizes from a guy in Texas that bought them while he was in Italy. He thought he'd make a killing selling them stateside but his new wife told him to get rid of all his junk ( as he put it )
And I guess I helped him out. :D That was one of the better deals I ever got on knives.
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I got some from a guy who was a whole seller in the 1990s and he sold them off the last few years at good prices....