switchblade sales

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
sammy the blade

switchblade sales

Post by sammy the blade »

I was at a Big R store today and in the sporting goods department they had a small selection of Benchmade autos. This is the first I've come across in a chain store, still haven't seen them at WalMart.
2024 candidate for president
bigfatross

Re: switchblade sales

Post by bigfatross »

Hey Sammy,
What State do you live in? What was the average length on those knives?
sammy the blade

Indiana, blade length varied! It was a small display with under a dozen knives. There were a couple non autos in the display and blade lengths ran from 3 to 4 inches just by my guess give or take a little. They weren't what I'd call a deal of the century but price didn't seem bad from a over the counter purchase.
john

Post by john »

I live in Massachusetts just 30 miles from the New Hampshire border. About two years ago New Hampshire legalized ALL knives. Whenever, I am in New Hampshire take a look at what they're selling for knives and I still haven't seen any autos for sale. I must be shopping in the wrong stores.

Al, if you see this... Have you seen any autos for sale; do any of the sporting good stores or other shops sell autos?
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
sammy the blade

These are the first autos I've come across in chain stores. Some at a pawn shop in town and a few at small gun shops but that's it!
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Very interesting! Even if your state allows them now, the federal law prohibits interstate commerce of them unless they are for certain persons. Many small guys and FFLs ( small ones) take a chance breaking this law. I am surprise a chain store would?

I know when the law changed in NH Al said the sale of his knives at the flea market did not increase as he thought it might. If you check my thread in the section below I asked Al where the flea market is. They I assume may have some sellers....
sammy the blade

I'm reasonably sure it has something to do with the commerce regulations but that doesn't effect most of us, LOL!
bigfatross

Post by bigfatross »

Tom19176 wrote:Very interesting! Even if your state allows them now, the federal law prohibits interstate commerce of them unless they are for certain persons. Many small guys and FFLs ( small ones) take a chance breaking this law. I am surprise a chain store would?

I know when the law changed in NH Al said the sale of his knives at the flea market did not increase as he thought it might. If you check my thread in the section below I asked Al where the flea market is. They I assume may have some sellers....
There is a flea market that happens once a month here in ILL. called the Kane county flea market. They have two vendors that sell automatics, one guy has the China el chepos mixed in with other items he sells. And there is another guy that just sells knifes, in a indoor booth. He has a lot of autos "behind the counter" and only has a few on display. Once you ask to look at a auto he then tells you about other autos he has. He sells modern autos like Microtech (they might even be the counterfeit ones ) witch I'm not into.

About one or two years ago they had a booth run by some Asian folks that were selling counterfeit lady's (big name expensive) hand bags.From what I heard, the Feds came in and shut them down and arrested them. And also slapped a lawsuit on the owner who runs the Flea market. I'm not sure of the outcome, or if the lawsuit is on going. I think if someone complains or calls the Cops they might have a problem.

Switchblades in ILL. are illegal but as far as I know not enforced. Keeping in mind Chicago saw its bloodiest month in two decades this August, after police recorded a staggering 90 murders, 384 shootings and 472 total shooting victims...... I think the Police have bigger fish too fry.
john

Post by john »

bigfatross wrote:
Switchblades in ILL. are illegal but as far as I know not enforced. Keeping in mind Chicago saw its bloodiest month in two decades this August, after police recorded a staggering 90 murders, 384 shootings and 472 total shooting victims...... I think the Police have bigger fish too fry.

I heard it was bad, but that's real bad. You're definitely right the police have bigger fish to fry.
John

john

Post by john »

john wrote:
bigfatross wrote:

I heard it was bad, but that's real bad. You're definitely right the police have bigger fish to fry.
Boston has had under 25 people shot to death this year. That's still 25 too many.
John

Midnight Drums

Post by Midnight Drums »

Cabellas in St Louis sells Benchmade autos, but you have to ask about them to see them.