Switchblade collector’s etiquette and philosophy

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ILikeStilettos

Switchblade collector’s etiquette and philosophy

Post by ILikeStilettos »

This is a long-winded editorial and as such is strictly my opinion on things. You know what they say about opinions, right? They’re like anuses: everybody has one, and everyone thinks the other guy’s stinks. I’m motivated to put this all down on (virtual) paper because that helps me to organize my thoughts and in some cases, clear my personal fog. I suspect that many of you will want to chime in on this, and that’s what I am looking for.

I’ve said before that anyone involved with switchblades is by definition, insane. I’m no exception. Without addressing the larger issue of what’s ‘normal’ and what’s not, I’d suggest that all collectors are a few sandwiches short of a picnic, whether it’s coins, stamps, matchbook covers, Cabbage Patch dolls, body modifications, horses, cars or anything else that people gather and hang on to. The mere fact that we do so because it gives us unjustified pleasure means that we step to a drummer that not everyone hears. If it’s weapons, then we are a bit further off the species rhythm. Switchblades? My God, man, are you insane? Duh, yeah.

Now to bring this in a bit closer to our little group of folks, we seem to agree the objects that fit the pattern are knives designed to inflict pain and mayhem (and are useful for little else.) Why is one automatic knife a switchblade (gravity knives included) and another is a tactical? (You don’t see a lot of tacticals in here!) The obvious answer is that we gravitate (no pun intended) toward something that is wicked and looks like it is meant to draw blood rather than being a one-handed, general-purpose tool. Are there laws against them in your particular neck of the woods? That’s even cooler and more desirable!

The age of seventy is looming on my horizon and I have been fascinated with switchblades since my dad brought home a cigar box Bonsa from Germany when I was around ten. The next one I came across was a 13” manual Rosco bayonet that was in the worst shape possible and had been crudely converted to a flick knife by hacking away at the tang with a hacksaw blade inserted into the blade well. I loved it. (I have a pristine pair of 13’s, one manual, one auto, and they are my one concession to owning vintage. Bill will tell you that they weren’t done correctly, because the late Killbucket shined them to a high polish. I don’t care; they’re my childish ideals.)

Around 20 years ago I finally established a contact in Maniago and began to buy knives. I figured I wanted one of every size and blade style in traditional black horn. I had seen a rare few with streaky or mixed color horn, but not many. Obviously I was pretty ignorant of the larger world of Italians. I wrote to Angelo Campolin seeking a particular 15” or 18” dagger as I recall, and he told me I should check out SharperDeal. That was a real epiphany for me. When folks mentioned Burn, I went searching and found Paul Panak, and realized there were GOOD QUALITY switchblades out there, and highly customized variations. The black horn knives lost most of their magic at that point and for the last three years or so I have been buying like a drunken sailor. (No offense, Navy, you guys do a really scary job and do it well.)

So nowadays, I follow SharperDeal and TalkBlade forums. They are not the largest or most active forums. I avoid the big guys, even if they have a dedicated automatic knife major topic, simply because these two are closest to my heart and my collecting idiosyncrasy. I have friends on both, and there is some overlap, but if I want to have social association with a particular somebody, I have to go where they hang out. I tend to lump the SharperDeals auction into my thinking because of the obvious ties, but there are a few guys there that I never run into on either of the formal forums. I’ve also found that if you set things up correctly, I can see everything that interests me in five minutes or less and comment, if appropriate. I’ve been told more than once that I am a gossipy old busybody that could not possibly have a life outside of constantly haunting these websites. While a lot of my life revolves around switchblades, I have many avenues of communication and I have a busy life with five grandchildren and my wife of 30 years (yesterday). I’m a big movie buff and I fit in a lot of TV and read 100 or so books a year. If I seem to be ever-present, that’s just me being efficient.

Now to the etiquette part of this diatribe:

It seems strange to say that I have close friends that I have made strictly from being on the forums and swapping emails and phone calls with folks scattered around the world. I have had the extreme pleasure of meeting a select few in person, but most of them are just on my bucket list of hopefuls. Like any group of friends, we bitch about various situations, who acted like a jerk, who is a true gentleman. Some of us are well educated and play that down rather than lording it over the conversation, some are just plain folks. Some of us are insecure and have to constantly point out our accomplishments, or tear others down because that’s the only way we can build ourselves up. Some of us pointedly avoid conflict of any kind, while others enjoy a vigorous discussion and thrashing out opposing viewpoints. I’m in the latter group, and hence a few (or more than a few) think I’m pompous and a know-it-all.

The thing is, we have to accept the other guy’s ‘crazy’ and it’s reasonable to expect him to accept our own. This keeps forums alive and vibrant.

I know that it’s easy to run out of superlatives. After the first few uses of magnificent, stunning, awesome, score, etc. just what can one say? When I post a topic, I’m just trotting out something I happen to think is cool, and maybe, just maybe you will get a charge out of seeing it, or mentally add it to your own bucket list. When you say, “I love it” or just send me an emoticon, that’s entirely fine by me. Ask me a question, or show me a similar knife you have, it’s the thought and the acknowledgement that I appreciate. For those of you who rarely post or respond, speak up. Get involved. I know some of you have technical issues with your communications or your grammar and/or spelling is not polished. That doesn’t matter. We will only get to know you if you speak up. If you need help, ask for it, it takes time and practice to put a good post or response together. Your posts will get better and better, I promise.

Final point and the one that prompted me to write this epistle: As in all walks of life there are people who absolutely detest being questioned or challenged. I have strong opinions, but I’m a work in progress trying to emulate that perfect guy from 2,000 years ago. If you see things differently, than by all means, question me and/or present your evidence. There’s a 50-50 chance you will educate me. We can even agree to disagree. However, if your only response is to call me names or tell me I haven’t got a clue or say how much I am completely detested around these parts; that will not work. If I am butting into your business, then you should realize that this is an open and public discussion, and by stating your view you are throwing it open to discussion. I know that I cannot please everyone, so somebody is going to dislike me (actually more than a few, I tend to inspire it out of jealousy.) If this gets down to the name calling level, please trust me, I was in the Army for 12 years and I’ve heard it all before and can sling a profanity or insult with the best of them. Frankly, I can afford to ignore you easier than to dislike you. Active dislike takes too much energy. When I tell one of my friend’s that you’re the Southern end of a North-bound Clydesdale, I’m smiling and laughing about it. Mostly we prefer to talk about what a great guy Straydog is (or many of the other fine folks are.)

Phew. That’s it, I’m done for now. I have knives to polish and photograph.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
gravknife

Re: Switchblade collector’s etiquette and philosophy

Post by gravknife »

Dave
Thats a pretty spot on psychological analysis of collectors.
Reading that makes me a certified insanity case,thanks :)
I have collected coins,stamps swords knives guns ,bullets and more as well as these knives we all love so.much.
As for TB its just great to see knives I never will own and learn about the ones I do.
More importantly ive made loads of insane freinds that share the same passion of knives as I do.
If quoted as being insane for liking switches just do what the rich do and call yourself eccentric. :)
Maybe the ones who cant see the beauty in weaponry are the insane ones and we are all just fine and dandy.
I believe we are all just purveyors of beautiful objects and storekeepers of history .
The higher powers would have us as grazing sheep with no thoughts but as to whats on television ,but some of us just have imaginations that need filling .
I say each to their own and happy collecting.
Welcome to the asylum. :)
I hope your well Dave my insane freind.
All the best to all here
Ian
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Dear Eccentric Compadre Ian
gravknife wrote:Dave,

Thats a pretty spot on psychological analysis of collectors.

Reading that makes me a certified insanity case, thanks :)
Please forgive any spelling, grammar or typographical errors in this reply, as the attendants refuse to release me from my canvas coat and I am having to type this with my toes and by the light of the moon on a purloined flip phone. Ah, the moon, ah-oooooooooooooo. :wink:
gravknife wrote:I have collected coins, stamps, swords, knives, guns, bullets and more, as well as these knives we all love so much.

As for TB, it's just great to see knives I never will own and learn about the ones I do. More importantly, I've made loads of insane friends that share the same passion of knives as I do. If quoted as being insane for liking switches, just do what the rich do and call yourself eccentric. :)

Maybe the ones who cant see the beauty in weaponry are the insane ones and we are all just fine and dandy.
It's not that weaponry is inherently beautiful, it's just that some people are so short sighted that they can't see past the ordinary to appreciate the beauty. As an engineer, I'm very much a nuts and bolts guy, and while my thinking is usually detailed and pertinent, and typically abstract and out of the box, if that facilitates a simple solution - even so, I plunge right past avenues of opportunity because I am charging so quickly to what I believe is the best answer. I wrote this diatribe somewhat in response to some messages from another collector who took great umbrage at me involving myself in something that he felt was not my business to comment on. Even so, it gave me the idea that I wanted to involve the rest of the collecting world and get their opinions. Your response is most gratifying and appreciated, because you took the time to answer and pointed out a couple of those "missed avenues" to me. I am in your debt, kind sir.
gravknife wrote:I believe we are all just purveyors of beautiful objects and storekeepers of history.
That is one of the loveliest and most succinct summations of what we do that I have ever had the pleasure to encounter. Thank you so much for that.

You have reminded me that I view my knives as pieces of art. They are beautiful to me, simply because they are as they are. I know that some are wicked looking and potentially viciously destructive, but even that is an aspect of beauty. I will never own a McLaren exotic car and I know that it's purpose is not to be among the common commuter traffic, but I still can appreciate it's elegance and the detailed planning and selections that went into creating it.

A number of the friends that I have made in this journey are true artists in the depths of their souls. I don't especially like "still lifes", even less so, impressionistic art. Yet I can accept that anything that stirs other people's emotions is magnificent art. The switchblade world equivalent is the collectors of untouched vintage. It's not my thing, but neither is it my right to disparage it. Artists are vilified for having "temperament" and certified as insane for their extremism. One renowned builder showed me his sketch book, carefully dated and with the time noted, as he found that he was most creative at particular times of the day. He also showed me delicately and exquisitely detailed scrimshaw that he had done, but never offered for sale because it had taken him years to complete, it was strictly for his own enjoyment.

I recall many conversations with your namesake, Killbucket, wherein I was trying to be diplomatic and not say how ugly I thought a particular piece of his was. He would laugh and admit that he didn't like it either, but he was pleased that he'd explored that option and that it had caused an emotional response in me. It seemed perverse to me that often those pieces were the most financially rewarding for him and the superb pieces I got from him sold for peanuts or were gifts strictly because I admired them.

Another friend, in collaboration with a world class builder, has produced extreme knife after extreme knife. He even went so far as to use his own femur head on a knife after it was removed for hip replacement. Typically the builder publicizes his knives on the forum, but he, the artist, never does. He has told me on any number of occasions that he will NEVER sell any of his knives, as they are like his children. He greatly resents anyone copying his ideas, or inadvertently recreating them. His art is his exclusive property, for he himself, and for himself only.
gravknife wrote:The higher powers would have us as grazing sheep with no thoughts but as to what's on television, but some of us just have imaginations that need filling.

I say each to their own and happy collecting.

Welcome to the asylum. :)

I hope your well Dave my insane freind.

All the best to all here

Ian
I live in Oklahoma, which is not yet 100 years old. (The Land Run of 1893 opened the former "Indian Territory" to settlers of all ilks.) We are a young state in the heart of the Bible Belt. The state is ultra-conservative and while official Democrat typically votes Republican unilaterally. Your comment about sheep is particularly appropriate. In the thirty-three years I have lived here, I have again and again voted for special measures to fund education, only to see those funds diverted elsewhere (legislative pay increases, wacky and unconstitutional legislation, embezzlement, scandal). Our roads are crumbling, the capitol building is crumbling and somehow we cannot balance the budget and must cut education again. We are ranked #1 or #2 in the nation for elementary education - a new school a mile from where I live conducts all afternoon classes in French! At the mid- and high school level we are ranked #49 or #50 out of 50 states. I don't believe this is an accident. There are lots of good people here, but they can be very ignorant. They are anti-gay, anti-health care, anti-equal pay, and pro-gun. They hate our president and the Democratic candidate with unconcealed fanaticism. I truly believe the legislature's primary goal is preservation of our uniformed status quo.

So, I agree with you completely on that point - and I am off topic.

You have my best wishes also, my similarly certifiable friend across the Atlantic.

This is George, the night nurse. Stop writing to Patient Sause, you are undoing our efforts to heal and rehabilitate him. We are putting him in the quiet room and sedating him. I've also broken his toes <weg> for stealing my phone.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Now that they are legal in Indiana it's not quite as much fun as it used to be. Still, when I show one off people ask me where did you get that? Aren't those illegal? You may see a few at gun shops and pawn shops at inflated prices but they are still hard to find, unless you know where to look, and I'm not telling!
2024 candidate for president
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

sammy the blade wrote:Now that they are legal in Indiana it's not quite as much fun as it used to be. Still, when I show one off people ask me where did you get that? Aren't those illegal? You may see a few at gun shops and pawn shops at inflated prices but they are still hard to find, unless you know where to look, and I'm not telling!
Good for you, Sammy. It wouldn't hurt to tell them about 3knives and theknifeshop though, or Rick's new site.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

bigfatross

Post by bigfatross »

ILikeStilettos wrote:I have had the extreme pleasure of meeting a select few in person, but most of them are just on my bucket list of hopefuls. Like any group of friends, we bitch about various situations, who acted like a jerk, who is a true gentleman. Some of us are well educated and play that down rather than lording it over the conversation, some are just plain folks. Some of us are insecure and have to constantly point out our accomplishments, or tear others down because that’s the only way we can build ourselves up. Some of us pointedly avoid conflict of any kind, while others enjoy a vigorous discussion and thrashing out opposing viewpoints. I’m in the latter group, and hence a few (or more than a few) think I’m pompous and a know-it-all.
I think it was General George Patton that said: " If we all thought the same, NO ONE would be thinking".

If I don't like something that someone posted OR if someone doesn't like something I posted, I don't take it personally.
However, we live in a day and age where people hide behind the internet and say things that they would NEVER say
face to face to someone.

In my opinion if a comment is not useful, humorous, helpful, entertaining or is thought provoking, it's not worth
spending time writing or reading.

Having said that, I hope ALL YOU MOTHER F*%@!s THAT DON'T AGREE WITH ME, GO TO HELL !!! :D :lol: :D :lol:
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Ross, you're a man after my own heart!
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690