Here I go again! I ordered a 7" "Old Hickory" Butcher Knife.

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Fishtail Picklock

Here I go again! I ordered a 7" "Old Hickory" Butcher Knife.

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Knives Plus will be sending me a 7" "Old Hickory" Butcher Knife. It should arrive by Wednesday, June 15, 2016. The "Sticker" is a great knife and I am quite fond of it. :wink: The 7" Butcher Knife should come in quite handy in the kitchen. After I take it to the Spyderco Triangle "Sharpmaker" it should work very well and hold an edge. (The "Sticker" is quite special). Where I'm living, the people don't sharpen the kitchen knives (they leave it to me). It's a pain in the neck, but I work at keeping things in relative order.

I'll be darned if I'm going to let anyone else handle this knife. I'll:

a) keep it sharp,

b) prevent rust, and

c) keep it from being abused.

The people in the house don't know how to take care of 1095 Carbon Steel cutlery.
Fishtail Picklock
Fishtail Picklock

Re: Here I go again! I ordered a 7" "Old Hickory" Butcher Knife.

I'm pushing the back to the top because I would like to see more people realize that these inexpensive, yet effective implements generally serve better in both the kitchen and by the campfire than most of the cheap Chinese kitchen steel made today. This, my friends, is "the good stuff" and has been since 1924. Buy it, sharpen it and if your'e so inclined, use vinegar to put a patina on it. After you've done this, keep it well preserved with Mineral Oil and keep it out of the "junk drawer". Don't let it "bang around" with other kitchen ware (take care of it). :D :wink:

If you do this, it will serve you well over a lifetime and pay for itself many times over. Believe me, I know whereof I speak.

Great knives and implements, Maynard! 8)
Fishtail Picklock
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

ALSO you can look for the blades at some of the muzzleloading supply sites and add your own scales. i had bought some about 30 years ago for like...$3 each !!!
Fishtail Picklock

Tryker: Unfortunately, that was 30 years ago. (1986 was a long time ago). $3.00 had the same purchasing power as $6.55 today. I can buy some ready-to-use "Old Hickory" knives and enjoy them. (Yes, I'm lazy).
Fishtail Picklock
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

lazy's kool, i had a piece of curly maple hangin around, i'm still usin those knives.
Fishtail Picklock

I had a member of another forum tell me that he and his wife would ruin 1095 carbon steel kitchen cutlery in short order. I can't understand how someone would use knives then not immediately hand wash them and put them away. (My parents taught me to do this at the age of six). :shock:

Yes, I'm lazy, but not THAT damned lazy! This family has the "throw it in the dishwasher" attitude down pat. Not me, I'd rather take care of everything immediately. (There's always the option of ceramic cutlery and diamond-surfaced hones).

Give me the old 1095 carbon steel and simple, but judicious care... what a concept! :roll:
Fishtail Picklock
Fishtail Picklock

I have the 2 1/4" paring knife and have taken it to my Spyderco Triangle "Sharpmaker". This thing is sharp enough to shave my arm. Yeah, you can have all the stainless steel knives you want. These are the knives our parents and grandparents used. (Since mom was born in '25 and dad was born in '17, I can say that). There's no substitute for keeping a good, clean set of knives and exceptionally sharp blades. God help me, I've been transported back in time to 1961 (when I was but 6 years old). Yeah, this is the "real deal".

By them, use them, care for them, love them. You will never be disappointed.
Fishtail Picklock