What do you know about w2 steel for knives?

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
BennytheBlade

What do you know about w2 steel for knives?

Post by BennytheBlade »

I looked at the steel guide on agrussell, so I no its non stainless, and the composition of it. Has anyone used a knife made w/ w2 and what do you think? how does it compare to O-1 or 1095?
Any feedback would be aprecitated.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I love simple carbon steel knives and in my opinion most carbon steels are pretty similar. I'm sure expets may differ but I've salvaged unknown types of carbon steels from the dump and treat them all pretty much the same as far as hardening and tempering. They all show very similar qualities as far as strength and edge holding. The small blade in the pic is carbon steel [unknown type] from the dump. Forged and given a s.w.a.g.
heat treatment it easily went through the larger lock-back blade.
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

wow- very good info to have... I guess I shoulda just put this in the ask vagrant section-
Thanks for the info... Now to go see if I can trade for a knife :twisted:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

All carbon steel rusts easily [some very easily] so keep it clean and dry.
Protect it with something: oil, car wax, [chapstick works and is non toxic if your cutting food] do not use vegtable oil as some say because it can go rancid and is not good for cutting food once it has. All carbon steel will stain and darken if you use it at all. This does not hurt it [except for appearance] and helps make it a little less likely to rust as easily as a shiny new one.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Al what did you think of that M-2 High speed tool steel that was the darling of the custom guys about 6 years ago. I met a new custom maker and designed my own hideaway. Double edged spearpint about 4" Curved and cut out cocobolo for the handle he used custom pins. Anyway I have had no rust problems and this knife shaves when done right on a diamond stone but it's up their on the RC62-64 so it could be brittle but its only ahideaway or last resort and a quite comforting one at that. I remember BM used it for a while but people were complainning cause they were difficult to sharpen and "Poof" they were gone.
PB
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

wow al i love seeing that done! 8)

benny, does this mean another addition to your massive collection in the near future?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

mrbigg wrote:wow al i love seeing that done! 8)

benny, does this mean another addition to your massive collection in the near future?
O.K.
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

awww stop it al, i'm gonna wet myself :oops:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I've never worked with M-2. Also never worked with D-2 which is at 12% chrome is considered "semi-stainless" and has an excellent reputation for being very similar to carbon steel in the way it holds an edge and sharpens easier than most stainless.
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

Mr. Bigg-
Lets hope so :twisted:

D-2 is probably my favorite steel. some people say its hard to sharpen, I say, you cant have it both ways, it holds its edge well, so its a LITTLE harder to sharpen, well worth the trade off imho. And if you touch it up, you can make a D-2 Edge last a long time.