"Flick of the wrist"

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The other style they loved was the hawkbill field knife, with which eviseration was always possible, even probable.
The Hawkbill has limited tactical techniques. but the ones that work, work VERY WELL :!: [Onces the cut starts they want to "get into" the cut and keep going ].
Mors Profundis

Post by Mors Profundis »

Oh,my, yes,they do that indeed.
The kukuri is really derived from the sickle blades used by poor Macedonians and others,who had no swords.
Most ghastly of all is the squizamaru, a knife used by Kuklapolitan mercenaries in ancient times.
Concave and convex,pointy, heavy and sharp, it left a trail of gore as the savage warriors carved their way through a wall of human flesh, dragging their canoes behind them(they often fought as marines, always as maroons).
Conan the Barbarian wet his breechclout at the sight of their dragon banner, King Arthur ran home to his Mommie,Robin Hood hid in the weeds and Erik the Red became Erik the Green with Gray Splotches as they advanced chanting "Ollie,Ollie, fix yer clock!"
Under Queen Fran the Third, they ravaged Europe, Asia and California, until they converted to Polyzimbamwakilism in the 16th century,opened a chain of fast food restaurants and check cashing services, and vanished from history.
Only the stories remain, and the few who still observe the old ways work for Jerry Springer, providing security for his lamentable TV show.
Life has no value, but death has it's price
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Mors Profundus wrote:Oh,my, yes,they do that indeed.
The kukuri is really derived from the sickle blades used by poor Macedonians and others,who had no swords.
Ah yes the Kopis if they had been made of steel [instead of bronze] it's doubtful the Khukuri would ever have been invented. [Someday we should have a contest for the most spellings of Kukri].
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

[quote="Mors Profundus"] This was a redneck mode of knife combat with those toothpick patterns, once loved by the sons of the sunny south.
Oft they would say,"I'm gonna cut you three ways-long, wide, and deep!"
quote]

Heard that said more than once growing up in some of the classy neighborhoods of my youth in Houston, Nuevo Laredo and elsewhere...but no more...no more...
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Al I have a few Copis shaped blades and love them. Combination of a recurve and Kurki in one smaller package. They were popular when Black Jack had them but now are very rare. I think the shape makes for one of the better utility patterns.
PB
poorbs

Post by poorbs »

Mr. Lettek,

I didn't read all the posts so I don't know if anyone else came up with this, but I know exactly what you were asking about in your original post. I used to have a picklock Italian Stiletto that was a 2 hand open - even had the slot for your fingernail on the side of the blade - and had filed down the square corners that "dragged" under the disc so it would open with a flick of the wrist. We called them wrist action or gravity knives. The longer they were the easier they would open. It finally broke apart from being opened hard many times - wish I'd kept the pieces.
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

Mors Profundus,

Reminds me of the time I was on safari in South Bullshitland when I was attacked by 3 members of the dreaded Dinglefritz tribe. I fired my Holland & Holland .500 Nitro Express double rifle solid slugs right through the first 2 savages but the 3rd one kicked my butt before I could reload. :wink:
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The Falcon wrote:Mors Profundus,

Reminds me of the time I was on safari in South Bullshitland when I was attacked by 3 members of the dreaded Dinglefritz tribe. I fired my Holland & Holland .500 Nitro Express double rifle solid slugs right through the first 2 savages but the 3rd one kicked my butt before I could reload. :wink:
THAT is why H&H made the .600 N.E. :wink:
Mors Profundis

Post by Mors Profundis »

Situations like that are why there's a buttstock!
A squisamaru would have saved you-they were known to kill twenty people in an afternoon, just by accident.
Life has no value, but death has it's price
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Vagrant wrote: THAT is why H&H made the .600 N.E. :wink:

A well-experienced White Hunter was once asked by one of his students why he used a .600 nitro express for EVERYTHING......

His answer was..... " Because they don't bloody-well MAKE a .700 nitro express"

A man after my own heart that guy... 8)

Best wishes
Teddy
Milu

Post by Milu »

Teddy wrote:
Vagrant wrote: THAT is why H&H made the .600 N.E. :wink:

A well-experienced White Hunter was once asked by one of his students why he used a .600 nitro express for EVERYTHING......

His answer was..... " Because they don't bloody-well MAKE a .700 nitro express"

A man after my own heart that guy... 8)

Best wishes
Teddy

That story is an old favourite but 700 nitro express has been around now for sometime (possibly inspired by that story)
http://www.reloadersnest.com/detail_pri ... oadID=2671
I never really understood the big heavy round versus small light fast round debates as I always thought the solution was obviously big heavy FAST rounds :wink:
"se me burlé, me fico un cento e vinti in tel stomego"
Goldoni: La donna di Garbo, 1753
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

Mors Profundus,

Is the squizamaru available with imitation horn scales?
They're my favorite and I wouldn't think of "carving through a wall of human flesh" without them. :wink:
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Milu wrote:
I never really understood the big heavy round versus small light fast round debates as I always thought the solution was obviously big heavy FAST rounds :wink:
LOL!!

I would feel better knowing that (in an urban environment at least) the bullet(s) I put into the bad guy didn't go straight through and cause inconvenience to whoever was standing behind him.... I favour the big heavy SLOW slug for defence.... too many .357's and the like have gone through the target and killed innocent passers-by..... but it's a "hot" topic... and always will be I guess... on safari.... is another matter.... :lol:

Best wishes
Teddy
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

H&H stopped at the .700 [a total of ONE I believe]. If I remember correctly an Italian compay made a .750 [again I think one] but there was talk of an .800 or .850. One of these [.750? or 800?] shot SOLID 14kt GOLD bullets, that were said to go for "three figures" per round. In terms of actual "horsepower" the .50 BMG tops them all the last time I had figures on it. [Sure wish I'd saved all the info on these.]
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

.600 Nitro Express
Until the advent of the .700 Nitro Express in 1988, this was the largest and most powerful of all the English big game cartridges. Its design, by Jeffery in 1903, was based on an earlier blackpowder round and it was used in double rifles. It is today a formidable cartridge for any type of dangerous big game.