"Flick of the wrist"

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Mors Profundis

Post by Mors Profundis »

It kills before and cripples behind!
If a .375 H&H or a .458 Winchester won't kill it, perhaps the option of not molesting it at all is best.
Karamojo Burke, one of the most sucessful ivory hunters of the elephant slaughter, used a .30-06 to kill hundreds of pachyderms, as I recall, and preferred a 6.5 Mannlicher-Schonhauer for lions.
As for the .50 BMG, save for sniping at astounding ranges(and scaring the bejabbers out of the foe), and as Burt Gummers favored Graboid round, it has little sporting value.
Sure makes the other guys envious, though, and that's always money well spent.
Life has no value, but death has it's price
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

"Death in the Long Grass" author, Peter Hathaway Capstick, once killed an elephant on a bet with a .22 LR. :shock: He was working at the time as a Kenyan goverment hunter culling herds that were over-grazing and rampaging through villages. He did not recommend the practice but he knew a particular spot where an artery ran just below the hide.
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Karamojo BELL, he killed more than a few Elephant with the 6.5 [actually a .256 but it's the same thing] the shot required the Tusker to be "quartering" away and was NOT recomended for beginners].

I missed the one on Capstick killing an Elephant with a .22 read the book at least twice [damn dyslexia again?]. I know one was killed with a .270, with the bullet [the last one they had] loaded backwards in the cartridge case. I know he spent quite a few .22 shells proving they would NOT penetrate a Buffalo skull no matter what angle they hit at or where the hit.
Mors Profundis

Post by Mors Profundis »

Thanks for the correction, the memory grow dim sometimes.
I still maintain, as did many before me the the 30-06 will kill anything that walks, crawls or flies, with the right bullet.
Those double barreled cannons were nesscessary in the days of black powder, of course, when nothing but bullet weight was really going to be used to increase striking power.
Having seen what a high velocity sporting bullet will do, I have no doubt that you can kill an elephant with one or the '06 family of rounds.
Wouldn't want to try it with a .303,no indeed, nor a .308, a 30-40 Krag-actually I'd never shoot a rhino or elephant at all, they're too scarce.
Tigers, now, there's a quarry-they've been protected, but soon, like the alligator, and some big bears, and the catamount, they'll be a danger to man again.
Often,as a lad, I thrilled to the writings of Jim Corbett, who hunted man-eaters in India under the Raj.
That guy had stones, big 'uns, too.
Now, I'm a confirmed indoorsman, and all the hunting I do is looking for the remote control.
Lordy, those must have been some magnificent days!
Life has no value, but death has it's price
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The .30-06 is a fantastic round. A good shot can kill anything alive with it, but for large stuff with NO sense of humor I'd want more power.
I believe Bell used a variety of weapons including the .303 [another "classic"].
No mention of other than the .303 and .257 [but I believe others were used]
At the age of 17, his brother agreed to buy him passage and in 1897 he arrived in Kenya armed with just a little money, a few changes of clothing and his trusty secondhand Daniel Fraser .303 single shot rifle. Bell’s first job was as a guard on the fledgling Ugandan railway, protecting the Indian surveyors from marauding lions and providing them with fresh meat. But the limitations of his rifle, which often jammed, and a shortage of ammunition proved a blessing in disguise.

He had to make every shot count and the accuracy he developed paid dividends when he turned his sights on elephants.

In 1902, professional elephant hunters were in demand. They dealt with rogue animals which threatened workers and raised money by selling ivory and meat. In the five-year period up to 1907, he shot 1,011 elephants.

Remarkably, he did it using a smaller-calibre rifle than most hunters. His particular favourite was a .275 Rigby.

Many others who tried to emulate his success with lighter weaponry died in the attempt.

What they didn’t have was Bell’s expertise. Shooting them directly through the brain diagonally from the back became known as the "Bell Shot".
Someday I'll read the Book :!:
Milu

Post by Milu »

"There ain't many problems a man can't solve with $700 and a 30.06"

Don't remember the source but I love the quote.
"se me burlé, me fico un cento e vinti in tel stomego"
Goldoni: La donna di Garbo, 1753
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

Milu wrote:"There ain't many problems a man can't solve with $700 and a 30.06"
There's some truth to that but I need your advice on one problem. Sometimes I get an itch right in the middle of my back where I can't reach it. Now, should I grab the .30-06 by the stock and scratch myself with the front sight or pay some good lookin' babe $700 to scratch it with her long nails? 8)
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Most scotch tape rolls have plastic cutter that can be used for scratching. However some rolls still have a metal cutter. Inattention to this can redefine a backscratching :oops:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The front sight on some guns works great but some are a little too effective :shock:
Milu

Post by Milu »

The Falcon wrote:
Milu wrote:"There ain't many problems a man can't solve with $700 and a 30.06"
There's some truth to that but I need your advice on one problem. Sometimes I get an itch right in the middle of my back where I can't reach it. Now, should I grab the .30-06 by the stock and scratch myself with the front sight or pay some good lookin' babe $700 to scratch it with her long nails? 8)
$700 for a backscratch. Wow! American ladies are expensive!
"se me burlé, me fico un cento e vinti in tel stomego"
Goldoni: La donna di Garbo, 1753
dogngun

Post by dogngun »

:!:

Mors Profundis : I believe every word. Thank God our Government protects us from such things now.

M. 8)