Off center blades

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Phoenix594

Off center blades

Post by Phoenix594 »

I recently recieved another order of autos from AB. Half of them had, noticibly, off center blades so I sent them back for replacements and the replacements had problems as well. Michele from AB informed me this is normal. I find that hard to believe as I have gotten other knives from them and other Italian manufacturers with no defects. I was also told to ask this forum if this is to be expected. My feeling is that an off center blade takes away from the charater of these pieces and unacceptable. Somebody please clear this up for me.
Thanks,
Joe
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Both statements are correct.
These problems are annoying and detract from the knife.
These problems are the way it is in the real world.
It can be argueed that some of the imperfections add to the "soul" of the knife.
Italian Knifes have "soul".
French Knifes have "spirit".
German Knives have "character".
American knives are usually perfect but "cold". [They seem to lack "emotion"].
Greyblade

Post by Greyblade »

Joe,

I agree that the problem of blades not being centered along the length of the knife is disappointing, frustrating, and unacceptable. This is, however, the norm for stilettos from Italian suppliers except for the high-end knives such as those with damascus blades, or the really large ones (15", 17-3/4"). This is poor build quality compounded by marginal parts. Unfortunately, unless you go the custom knife route and are will to part with big $$$ to get what you want in a stiletto, you're stuck. That's why most of my recent auto knife acquisitions have been American products from Dalton, ProTech, Paragon, and Microtech. They cost 2x or more what you spend for an Italian knife, but you get what you pay for.

Please take a look at some of the posts on the "Switchblade Knives" forum here. You'll find that there is a great deal of off-topic goofiness going on there, but we do discuss problems such as you have experienced and a myriad of other automatic knife related topics. Good luck.

Greyblade
Steely Dan

Post by Steely Dan »

Vagrant wrote:Both statements are correct.
These problems are annoying and detract from the knife.
These problems are the way it is in the real world.
It can be argueed that some of the imperfections add to the "soul" of the knife.
Italian Knifes have "soul".
French Knifes have "spirit".
German Knives have "character".
American knives are usually perfect but "cold". [They seem to lack "emotion"].
Man, thats the truth!