Puukkos

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
jarvis

Puukkos

Post by jarvis »

A buddy of mine is really into puukkos (traditional Finnish fixed-blade knives) and has started a blog about puukkos. He's in direct contact with some master knifemakers in Finland who have contributed photos etc.

http://nordiskaknivar.wordpress.com/

It's a good read with some great photos.
Some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a Kaiser blade.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Re: Puukkos

Post by Vagrant »

:D :!:
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

A huge Thanks Jarvis. I am a big fan of the Puukko knives.
That is real cool how they make the layered birch handles. So simple but unique.
An older gentleman friend of mine said he has been to Finland many times and they prefer "Slovic" to "Scandinavian" being that the majority of Finns are Slovic :idea:
Maybe everyone else knew this already but I found it quite interesting....Oh and the women there ask men to dance and they buy your drinks. Got to get to Finland some day,however I don't dance but I sure drink,and drinks can reach the 17 USD mark :shock:
Trivia: Poverty is almost non-existent in Norway and Finland.

I never like to speak ill of any knife company but the Spyderco version of a Puukko is blasphemous and the price they ask only adds insult to injury.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Puukkos are what a knife should be :!: I have 3 or 4 carbon steel ones :)
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Nice Blog and a bunch of nice cutters. 8)
heviarti

Post by heviarti »

I have some finnish ancestry, and would very much like to acquire an old, simple, real puukko. Something actually meant to be used, not a tourist souvenir.
I walked a mile in my enemy's shoes.... And then I stole his shoes.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Some/most of the Puukkos, sold at spoting goods stores [in the 50s/60s] WERE intended to be used but they were fancy and frightfully expensive [at the time]:idea:
polaria

Post by polaria »

heviarti wrote:I have some finnish ancestry, and would very much like to acquire an old, simple, real puukko. Something actually meant to be used, not a tourist souvenir.
I really don't know how (and if) they are available in US, but in Helsinki most of the stuff sold in tourist shops is actually the same stuff sold in hardware and outdoor stores with an extra 50% slapped on the price. A good quality puukko with minimum decorations starts around 30 euros (I believe that's around 45 USD) if you want a wooden handle and leather sheath. And they are made almost purely for use so you can expect quality. You can get the exact same blade with a plastic handle one for far less (around 30 USD) and the plastic handle with plastic sheath is what most Finns use nowadays if they don't own an expensive one.

An example of what you can get in Finland:

http://www.marttiini.fi/epages/Marttiin ... ctID=11047

Then again that for the factory production stuff. If you want one made in home by a smith with any name then the prices start at around 120 USD and only sky is the limit...