wounded khukuri

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
AKcollector

wounded khukuri

Post by AKcollector »

about two monthes ago I bought a jungle khukuri from the khukuri house in nepal. It cost an arm and a leg to ship it up here :roll: , and I only used it lightly ( to chop down a few small saplings and clear some brush) and now the brass cap on the bottom of the handle is loose and about to come off :cry: . I have already contacted the manufacturer and am waiting for a reply. anybody have any suggestions on what I should do otherwise or in case I cant get it repaired by KHHI?
`MURICA
Viking45

Re: wounded khukuri

Post by Viking45 »

I would highly recommend you having it fixed state-side. The shipping costs would eat you alive.
Sounds to me like it is something a good knife mangler could fix for less than shipping it back to Nepal.

Does the brass plate have a hole and some form of a threaded nut fastened to the tang or is it just a "crimped" cap?

Also you might consider a Cold Steel machete,they are dirt cheap and made in South Africa. The very best machete made in this price range.
Check these out-
http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/kukrimachetewsheath.aspx
http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/latinmachete-24.aspx
AKcollector

Post by AKcollector »

thanks for the info. I got it touch with someone from another forum who specializes in khukuris and he helped me fix it. apparently the change in temperature due to changing seasons affects the size of the horn handle (mine shrunk a little :x ). so what i needed to do was peen the tang lightly with a hammer, which fixed it up nicely. :D
`MURICA
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Cool,glad you got it fixed. 8)