Straight Razor

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
gimpochin

Re: Straight Razor

Post by gimpochin »

a good place w/lots of info also a bunch of good guys"Badger and Blade".com. Many will buy an old (100yrs+)have it restored and yer good for another few yrs. :D :D
Cemaly

Re: Straight Razor

Post by Cemaly »

I apologize for bumping this old thread, but I would like to share my experience in this matter, since when I was looking for good advice on this topic for myself
I have been using a shavette for a couple of weeks and starting to get it down pretty good. I am using a cheapie from Sally's Beauty Supply and no, I don't normally shop there LOL! But Google Maps sent me there and so that's where I got my shavette. I hope to not be a shavette user for long, though. I am on the road with my Uncle and I have my two new (to me) straights waiting for me at home, and I will probably be going home in a couple of days. I have a customized modified Gold Dollar and a Dovo Best Quality waiting for me, as my first straight razors,here is a review on which I relied on when choosing razors https://www.mistershaver.com/ultimate-g ... ht-razors/ Meanwhile I will make the following observations:

1. CORK the blade the first time! It really smooths it out. My Uncle used to use a DE razor and he would sometimes draw the blade once or twice through a cork before the first shave on it, depending on the brand. He suggested it to me after seeing my face after my first shave, and it really does help.

2. STRETCH the skin, making ugly faces or using the fingers. flaps of loose skin are just an invitation to get your face amputated.

3. KEEP THE RAZOR NEARLY FLAT AGAINST THE SKIN. I was told to use only very light feathery pressure but I have had better results with a little bit more pressure and a flat angle of attack. It is the difference between scraping and shaving.

The last several shaves I have mostly been cut free, and mostly pretty good shaves, and I am still very much a newbie. These things are supposed to suck but I am making mine work just fine so maybe I am on the right track or something. Hey, even a broke clock is right twice a day, right?

I am looking forward to being an EX-shavette user, though. But I think this thing has taught me a lot and I am glad I went there. I hope everyone here has the same good results as me.
There are many interesting videos on YouTube, I'll leave one of them here, I it will help in the future for someone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLx8vcwDX_E