Two 13" Krisses that Open w/o the Button

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
BladeLover

Two 13" Krisses that Open w/o the Button

Post by BladeLover »

I recently purchased two 13' (Cheap Switchblades) krisses with buffalo scales from SKM. Yea, I ignored the warning that these weren't their best quality knives. Anyway, by the time I paid for shipping from Italy, they weren't exactly cheap, in my book. They look great and (when working)fire well/lockup pretty solid. Here's the problem. Both knives will open when you squeeze their handles. Sometimes, they pop without a touch. Neither one has a consistently functional slide lock. They fire with 'em on or off. The release pins look puny to me for such a big blade and spring. Does anyone have experience with adjusting these babies to make them work, or am I just out the bucks with another lesson learned? :oops:

Best Regards,
BladeLover
"Knife collecting - it's not an addiction....it's an adventure!"
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

hi mr bladelover,

does the firing button seem to sit really high in the handle (scale) also are there gaps between the scale and the liner? i had one that did that, and the problem was the clearance with the button mechanism inside the scale. the scale was warped outwards, and when you squeezed it, the scale contacted the arm attached to the button, and lifted the firing pin - presto clicko! the issue with the safety may be related to the extra high button placement, as it's just a piece bent that slides under the button to stop you from depressing it, so if the button is extra high, there is still room to depress it and lift the pin out of the hole in the liner...

the other thing i have seeen is when the firing pin isn't centered in the hole in the liner, so it's not going back out all the way, and making very little contact with the hole in the blade....

when the knife is open, look inside and see how much of the pin sticks out, if it's very little, or there isn't enough of a flat edge on the side facing the backspring, this could be the problem...

make sense? :lol: :lol:
BladeLover

Kriss with a Miss

Post by BladeLover »

Thanks alot for the reply, MrBigg. The blade pin seems puny and does not appear to protrude very far into the handle cavity (beyond the liner hole through which it passes) when looking at the knife open, and the button does seem to ride kinda high. Also, there are fairly substantial gaps between brass liners and backspring. Anything besides a rebuild that could fix these things? Appreciate your expertise..

Best Regards,
BladeLover
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

well, i'd dremel the pins off and do a button-echtomy, then i'd do a scale transplant - with nice flat block of something nice n nice.....but that's not for everyone :wink: not to mention it sucks to have to fix a brand new knife! you could always contact SKM to see if they can help...

i can't think of anything easy that will be much help...maybe someone else has some ideas...

if not, i'll buy both off you...how does $25 sound (that's canadian bucks :lol: )
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Just put the damn things on a brick and take a ball peen hammer to them till they are tight. Seriously Mr Biggs suggestions are sound but if you have never taken a switch apart before be careful cause you don't want to crack the horn if they are horn that is. and you will need to find new stock to make your new pins. Tell me Lad do you carry these ? I believe you mentioned Kriss blades so they are duller then shit. Sometimes its best to lay them open in a display case rather then go through all the trouble for a $23 knife.
PB
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

mr pb is absolutely correct, it can be tricky to get the knife apart without munging it up....i always seem to gouge the scales and bolsters....those damn dremel cut-off discs grab the pins once in a while ...ziiinnngggg!
the spotlight kid

Post by the spotlight kid »

If you have a real complaint,tell S.K.M.I'm sure they will do their upmost to help with your problem!If they don't,then let us know!Apart from that,welcome to the forum! :wink: Cheers the spotlight kid. 8)P.S. try Tiny's at the blade alliance link,top right hand corner of this page!
A CARROT IS AS CLOSE AS A RABBIT GETS TO A DIAMOND!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The 13" are the only cheap ones I've had any trouble with. Some of the 9" have been outstanding. I had some that had my company name and zip code laser etched on them. I never had a single complaint from anyone about them and with the zip code on them the buyer[s] would not have a real hard time proving they were ones I sold them.
BladeLover

Magic Krisses - no button required, think them open

Post by BladeLover »

Thanks mucho for the feedback guys... No, PB I don't carry these badboys...first of all they open if you sneeze too loud near them and would probably give a nasty scratch if I were to shove my hand in my jeans against the almost pointy tip...second, I concur that most krisses are pretty damned dull, meant more for show than for practical applications...especially these el-cheapos I bought, so I would not choose a kriss for an EDC or anything like defense. I guess I could e-mail SKM, but they warn in their Forum that the Cheap Switchblades carry no guarantees. Maybe I'll use em for paper weights...they still look pretty. "Twenty-five for the pair" - shipping from Venezia was more than that, so I guess I'll keep em. Maybe someday, when my ship comes in, I'll contract MrBigg to give em a button-ectomy and some MOP scales...LOL!
:lol: :lol:
Best Regards,
BladeLover
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

:lol: well it was worth a try!!

if you want them fixed, i'd recommend one of your fellow countryman - mr nemo in sin city, he's one of the best!

good luck!

ok $30 :wink:
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Blade lover when your ship does come in make sure when you sail off you snuggly apply anchor chain to mr Biggs neck so he can enjoy the ride as you drag him behind the boat. And please don't forget to give him an extra KeelHaul for me :twisted:
PB
BladeLover

Keel Hauling, etc...

Post by BladeLover »

Mr. PB, I did not realize that you and MrBigg were so close. :lol: I have no plans to keel haul anyone in the near future, however, if I had such capabilities at my disposal, I think I would reserve the chains for Bin Ladin and folks of that ilk, vs fellow Canadians and knife collectors. :lol:

Best Regards,
BladeLover
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

ok last chance - $35 :lol: 8)
BladeLover

Dumb reminder

Post by BladeLover »

Sorry, MrBigg...I feel compelled to keep those nasty 13" krisses as a reminder of how dumb a man can be...I had carefully read SKM's warning about the lesser quality of the Cheap Switchblades and lack of warranty and blindly bought three anyway. Fortunately, the third (an 11" white acrylic kriss) is tight and locks up strongly. Live and learn.... :oops:

Best Regards,
BladeLover :lol: