Halo III Clone?

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Maybe it's part Austrailian a "boomerswitch"?
BladeLover

Halo Clone - An Expensive Lesson

Post by BladeLover »

Well, guys, the HALO III clone arrived yesterday. It is no doubt the same piece of dung as the 18.00 special on BA. :oops: Blade is not black, nor is it ATS34, by any stretch of the imagination. Looks almost like a casting. It comes out of the thin tin handle quickly and does lockup reasonable well (some side play), but the recharge slide is flexible plastic of some sort and probably won't last too long. Blade is sloppily ground and says "STAINLESS" but as PB has said, they will stamp any frigging thing you want on a chinese clone. The chintzy thin metal handle has a coating ot cheap black enamel and no markings. My girl friend thinks it is cute, but wouldn't trade me her 13" kriss with buffalo horn scales from SKM, so I guess it ain't that cute. :lol: LOL! LIve and learn. Glad you guys turned me on to BA...bought a few from Stu-711 and ZABACK and been treated good. :lol:

Best Regards,
BladeLover
"Knife collecting - it's not an addiction....it's an adventure!"
bladerunner28

Post by bladerunner28 »

Rich from H&G has some various clones on BA.The only reason I mention this is because he backs everything sells..I returned a halo that was kind of rough ejecting, He sent me a new one and a bous for my trouble..And All for $14 + Shipping..Not too bad and a far cry from $80
BladeLover

Clones

Post by BladeLover »

Thanks BladeRunner. Yep, I got took, but learned a good lesson and in the process found a great bunch of guys here at TalkBlade and a good knife resource at BA. So it was well worth the 80 bucks in the long run. :lol:
Best Regards,

BladeLover
"Knife collecting - it's not an addiction....it's an adventure!"
ratstuph

Post by ratstuph »

BladeLover-
For eighty bucks, I would think you could buy better friends than us. :lol:
Rats...
sheep-free since '93'...
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

BladeLover,

You are certainly right in that you won't get ATS-34 steel on an $18 switchblade, although I suspect that some clones may actually have it on the tang stamp.

I have been meaning to type this for a few weeks and you have given a decent venue. There has been much written here about clones. Personally, I don't collect them, but recognize that they may serve certain purposes. I encountered one such purpose.

Several months ago when they first appeared I had Stu throw in a few Xing Wen's (spelling?) with an order. They weren't imposters of anything and were reputed to be well worth the $7 or so that they cost. I gave one to my 13 year old son hoping he would take an interest. He really didn't until 2 weeks ago when we were unpacking and installing a new computer system. Ostensibly, he retrieved his switch to open the boxes that contained the equipment. Well, in the course of opening a few boxes he must of fired the knife 30-50 times. Since then, he has asked some questions about my collection and I have watched him hovering over the display cases.

My conclusion is that a clones, or perhaps I should say a cheap switchblades from Taiwan (that are not a direct copies of something) do have their place. One nice thing about your first switchblade being a cheapie from Taiwan is the your collection can only go uphill from there.

Jim