Enlighten me on the Sebenza

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
hollowdweller

Enlighten me on the Sebenza

Post by hollowdweller »

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what is so great about Sebenza's? I have seen a lot of folks speak highly of them, but I am not sure why. Can any of you more experienced folks help?
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Very well made but not custom made. Good size, One piece titanium frame, Frame lock, can be ordered with different little features, good steel. To be truthful I don't know what Cris is currently working with and good customer service. I think there about $4 for that or a $100 more you could go full custom with any number of well known makers. I think most peoples beef is with the price since they are semi production same as Emerson"s line of lower priced knives. I don't have one but would like one yet for the money I handled one of Phil Bugowaski's Cobra Flipper and let me tell you it was the smoothest opening knife you can imagine. Alot of people are as passionate about Sebenza's as are the Emerson Tribe.
PB
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

i do believe mr fivepointoh has a nice one with some kind of trippy blue damascus(?) - anyway it looks like a nice knife....
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

He does and its a real Emerson made by Ernie but it's also got pearl slabs so its a show knife. Pearl is very delicate. But I agree its a kool knife. I think if I were going custom tactical right now I would look at Bob Terzoula, Kit Carson, John Kubasek. I would get some nice features but would stay with a tougher handle material. But I just opened my wallet and about 14 moths flew out so I don't have to worry at the moment 8)
PB

Oh Yea Mr bigg what is special about the flag?
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

you should consider yourself lucky my friend, your wallet contained 13 more moth's than mine :wink:

you don't see anything special about my flag? maybe some new glasses before a custom sebby eh?
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Mr. Bigg,

Nice! .... 8) ........your own design?

Best wishes
Teddy
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Yeah now I see it. It didn't look like that before. Look I like the Canadian flag but why don't you guys fly it from a pole instead of bunching it all up Christ the way you have it almost looks like the outline of some babe.You sure thats not Jaymans pillow?
PB
.45acp

Post by .45acp »

I have a Large Plain Sebbie.

Great user knife, smooth action, bullet proof lock up, zero blade play, precision made. If you examine 10 sebbies side by side by side by side, you will find consistent high quality fit and finish through out the bunch. The edge geometry makes for a great slicer that is easy to maintain. Some complain of the ergonomics, but for me the knife works fine and is easy to manipulate. The bead blasted Ti scales provide excellent grip when wet.
PB is correct in that a custom can be had for a little more cash, but customs can be spotty in the quality department and you never know what you are getting until it arrives on the door step. The sebbie is a proven hard use knife, of known quality and performance.

Now with that said, some folks don’t care for em and that’s all right too. One thing that does kind of tick me off is people whining about scratching or dinging up a sebbie….I mean damn, if you don’t buy em to use leave em home.

Now you guys quit picking on Sebenza´s
:) :)

Steve
.45acp

NRA Life Member
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

No picking here 45. I like the Sebbie I can remember when Cris still was in South Africa selling his one piece hollow handle knives.I think it was the early nineties that he came over here to live. He's had a lot of ups and downs because since technicly his knives are Benchmade like Randals he is not allowed to sell or have a table at the Guild show. But he has a great many loyal customers and he sets up at other shows. 45 as far as the custom goes it's pretty safe when you know the maker or you can buy on the secondary market after playing with one so it's still a safe bet to go with a custom if one were inclined. Reeve does to folders what MT does to auto's
PB
FivePointOh

Post by FivePointOh »

Here are my two Sebbies. One for show and one for go!!! :D

I wouldn't even use the show Sebbie to open mail!!!
Unique graphic design, blue star saphire, and Devin Thomas blued spyrograph damascus.

.45acp

Post by .45acp »

PB,

I think the attraction for many with the sebbie is the utilitarian simplicity and functionality of the knife. I know it is for me. Of course the same high points I see, are the same reasons many hate sebs. Oh well. Just for the record, I’m not a raving CRK fan. I own several of his blades from the one-piece range as well.

FivePointOh, That is a fine looking sebbie you have there a damn nice piece of work, and it good to see a user that is not carried in a leather sock in your pocket. Do you use the pocket clip?, just curious.

Have a good night all; it’s off to a Brazilian BBQ.

Steve
.45acp

NRA Life Member
FivePointOh

Post by FivePointOh »

45, thanks! Yup it's clipped to my right front pocket for quick deployment. No sock here. I did remove the clip for the pic so it sat flat and matched the unique graphic one which has the clip removed and the clip insert in place. That one does get socked whenever I choose to remove it from it's home.

Wow, a Brazilian BBQ! Sounds great. I could only imagine what was on the menu.

Ookpik

Post by Ookpik »

What’ so great about the Sebenza?

Design – A very simple and functional design. No unnecessary parts.
Steel – S30V. Probably the best steel available at this time. Corrosion resistant, tough, easy to sharpen, and has good edge holding.
Handle – Titanium alloy. Strong, light, and corrosion proof.
Blade Lock – Frame lock. Simple, strong, and proven.
Customer Service – Probably the best in the business.
Warrantee – Probably the best in the business, but you won’t likely need it.
Materials – All parts are made with the best materials. Stainless steel pins and screws. Anodized titanium back spacer and thumblug(s). Titanium clip. Phosphor bronze blade washers. Ceramic ball on detent to hold blade shut.
Fit and Finish – Just about perfect. Even grind on the blade. No blade play. Perfect lock up. Perfect centering of blade. Smooth action. Sharp factory edge. Probably the most precise knife made at any price.
The knife comes with a wrench so you can take it apart for cleaning and lubrication. This does not void the warrantee.
Made in U.S.A.
Various Options – Small and large, regular and classic. Plain, various graphics, and wood inlays. Single or dual thumblugs. S30V or several damascus steels available.
Chris Reeve will sharpen your knife for free.
The price may seem a little high. It is much cheaper than a custom knife. If you buy from the factory, there is about a three month backlog. That would indicate to me that the price is too low. I could go on and on, or have I already? :)
Last edited by Ookpik on Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

well you may be new here, but you're no stranger to knives :wink:
Ookpik

Post by Ookpik »

Thanks. I’m familiar with most manual folders, but I don’t know much about auto knives.