Where to buy horn scales?

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Springmesser

Where to buy horn scales?

Post by Springmesser »

I got a old fixer upper 11 "GC CO." Italian manual picklock...anyone know of a source for that nice colored Brazilian horn scales :?:
Springmesser

Re: Where to buy horn scales?

Post by Springmesser »

None of those suppliers have the Brazilian horn. :|

Thanks for the links anyway. :)
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I'm sure that "Brazilian horn" is much like "rosewood" - actually used to cover a couple species :wink:
It probably is either cattle or buffalo [at the suppliers option]. [If it was Tibetan horn it might be Yak] :wink:
Both types of Bovine exist there [and in Italty] and lacking the ability to test DNA, I reguard HORN as HORN :wink: [It also applies to Yak, another Bovine] :wink:
There is far more variation between individuals [or on the individuals horn] than the various species of Cattle, Bison, Buffalo, Yak, etc. :idea:
Good luck in your search but take the sellers assurances "with a grain of salt" :idea:
Maybe it DID come from Brazil but what type of critter [and does that really matter] :?:
Haunt the shows and select horn YOU like, whatever it's called :idea:
Buying horn "sight unseen" can be either rewarding or disappointing but you always wonder what the other pieces looked like.
Springmesser

Post by Springmesser »

I really do not know much about horn at all...I just want to replace the broken horn scales with some nice color horn like this.....lol right. :D
Attachments
blue green horn scales 3.JPG
blue green horn scales 3.JPG (59.99 KiB) Viewed 5898 times
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

If you can see a pice of horn you like. buy it.
Some suppliers may be able to email a pic of what is available and let you choose, or you may be able to talk to them and tell what you want.
dave

Post by dave »

you can purchase brazilan horn at latama.net
Springmesser

Post by Springmesser »

Thanks for the replies....the latama sight does not even post a price.....but its some beautiful horn. :)