damascus blades

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
missaman

damascus blades

Post by missaman »

i was enjoying mr teddys pictures today while the gilrs are out back disassembling an old copy machine, when i saw the discussion on damascus blades i've been on skm's website several times and see them listed as an option.
this is what i think i know :? damascus blades were made by folding the metal over and over while being forged. i assume the new ones are made a different manor now? is the steel better quality than the standard 440 stainless it seems to cost a little more.
missaman
p.s. teddy, i changed my avatar just for you :lol:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

There are a couple ways of doing it; the old fold and forge, and the new powdered metal Swedish way, which may [ironically] be closer to the original Wootz steel from India that was exported to the Damascus area.
[Original Damascus blades from the Crusade period do not show the layered/welded pattern but do show a similar appearing pattern perhaps due to inclusions in the steel. Some [most/all?] of the Italian Damascus blades are Swedish steel [probably powdered metal]. Some modern forgers now prefer calling their blades pattern welded instead of Damascus.
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Mr. Missaman,

Thanks for the compliment... :D

I had just completed a thorough answer to your question (yeah right) when Mr Vagrant pipped me to the post... so I erased it...

Best wishes
Teddy

ps.. SOME of the so-called "damascus" these days isn't..... it's just etched onto the blades.... beware!
missaman

Post by missaman »

mr vagrent how do we get from powdered steel to :?: a cool looking knife blade. i assume its not forged. :?
thanks missaman
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The Swedes have not been very forthcoming on the actual process. I'll take a guess that two different types of powdered steel are mixed in a manner that keeps them seperated or causes them to seperate enough to cause the layered effect. [During a crucible melt?] Whether any hammering or forging [perhaps rolling?] is done I don't know. Since patterns vary [on observed knives] there appears to be some random variable somewhere. Is it "true" Damascus? Probably not. Is "traditional Damascus" [pattern welded] "true Damascus?" Doubtful. Can we enjoy either or both? Absolutely! For more on Wootz Damascus do a search or see http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/JOM/98 ... -9809.html
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Al
There was a great article in Blade a few years ago by Joe Szilaski an artknife maker from N.Y about cold forging. I don't think it was damascus I can't remember and it would take me 1/2 a day to locate the article but it shed a new light on the forging process. You may have read it.
PB
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I saw an article in one of the knife annuals a few years ago abouta maker in the mid-west [in the 30s I think] that cold forged mostly kitchen knives from car fenders. Despite the fact this is considered bad steel, and cold forging is also considered a poor way to do it, this guys knife outcut [in hemp rope] a very well made custom knife, many times over. It's one article I should have saved because it was interesting but no explanations were given just the results.
catavenger

Damascus

Post by catavenger »

I have heard somewhere they tempered the blade by running it into a human being. :o
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

That would be a great easy inexpensive way to heat treat if only our insides were hotter plus you not only get a perfectly heat treated blade you also get green stamps for ridding the world of one more predator. Boy with enough green stamp boolkets I could get that jr camper set I always wanted Damn.
PB
catavenger

Quenching

Post by catavenger »

maybe thats how they quenched it instead of using water? I will keep looking on the net eventually I shall find it the whole world is on the net! :shock: