Cleaning Gunk Off Your Blade

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
FivePointOh

Cleaning Gunk Off Your Blade

Post by FivePointOh »

I just opened a box and got tape snot all over my Benza blade. I used Fantastic Orange Action to clean it off. It worked like a miracle. I even think it left a little orange oil on the blade. If anybody thinks this might be bad for the blade, please let me know.
ratstuph

Post by ratstuph »

Mr. Five dot Ohh,
I don't know much about the fantastic stuff, but I suspect you are safe. I've been using de-solv-it for over a year now for exactly the same purpose, with no ill effects. It is heavy on the citrus oil so that leads me to think (OK, take a wild guess) the stuff you used might be ok. As I've used it only on polished blades I would be cautious about use on any non-polished surfaces.
I've seen some other stuff called goo be gone that seems similar, as well.

Ratz...
sheep-free since '93'...
catavenger

gunk

Post by catavenger »

WhenI used to work cuttting up bar stock we just cleaned the bars of metal with acetone based stuff like paint thinner. :shock:
Stone Knife

Good stuff

Post by Stone Knife »

Also the Break Free Powder Blast uses a citrus oil as it's active ingredient and it's great for this type thing... and is safe for all type scales I've tried it on. That orange whatever it is seems to be really safe for metals.

The Powder Blast is, however, not recommended for acrylic-water-based type housepaint (unless you want to dissolve it) but has proven safe on my AB synthetic scales and the Buck 110 wood poly-who-knows-what coating, as well as the material on the United Cutlery Colt M-16-K scales.
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Stone Knife,

I wonder how your citrus stuff works on high carbon blades. Citric acid itself makes a mess out of them if you don't clean the blade right away. I cut an orange with an Old Timer once and forgot to wipe the blade. That blade was never the same after that.

Best Regard's,

Bonz

PS- Whats the name of that dorky cartoon on your avatar? My grandaughter watches that stupid show when she comes over and those characters drive me nuts! No decent story line, just a bunch of idiots jumping up and down with those agravating voices.
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

"PS- Whats the name of that dorky cartoon on your avatar? My grandaughter watches that stupid show when she comes over and those characters drive me nuts! No decent story line, just a bunch of idiots jumping up and down with those agravating voices."

I had to talk to a child recently, I think that is "Sponge Bob". With unusual logic "Sponge Bob" is a sponge named Bob. That is all I know, and more than I want to know.
FivePointOh

Post by FivePointOh »

Image HEY, I watch Sponge Bob Square Pants!

Captain: Are ya ready kids?

Kids: Aye, Aye captain!

Captain: I can't heeeaaar yooouuu!

Kids: AYE, AYE CAPTAIN!

Captain: oooooooooooo.........

Captain: Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?

Kids: Sponge Bob Square Pants!

Captain: Absorbent and yellow and porous is he.

Captain: If nautical nonsense be somethin' ya wish.

Captain: Then drop on the deck and flop like a fish.

Captain: Ready?

Captain & Kids: Sponge Bob Square Pants, Sponge Bob Square Pants, Sponge Bob Square Pants, Sponge Booob Square Paaants!

Captain: Ah Ha Ha, Ha Ha Ha, Ha, hArgh wh..arire..Ha arrrigh.

http://spongebob.net/default.htm
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. 5.0,

I don't think sponge bob could even make it as a decent kotex.

Best Regard's,

Bonz
Thomas Jefferson
FivePointOh

Post by FivePointOh »

LOL Mr. Bonzo!

A lot of adults are into Sponge Bob. It's kind of a cult cartoon.

HTMLBali

Post by HTMLBali »

you all aware this was a (happy) created cartoon?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I knew the NAME, that's enough.
Stone Knife

Ahhh I need a crabby patty!

Post by Stone Knife »

Back to the Citrus question-

The citrus cleaner (and the rest of the ingredients) in Powder Blast is PH neutral. Where they obtain it is unknown to me, but I doubt that it's from the orange juice -which seems to be where the acid is...

that P.B. stuff is carefully formulated to not create any acids, which is why it has no Chloroflorohyrocarbons (which combine with moisture in the air once released) to make hydrochloric acid. Some similar type products do contain that long-funny-word chemical and the stuff causes some real problems later.

The idea of mild old Spongebob with a switchblade just hit me as being pretty funny as I thought about creating an avatar for this forum. It looks like Spongy and his pals just might win an Emmy this year.
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Stone Knife,

I use B-12 to clean all the gunk out of my blades and mechanism's, unless the scales are acrylic, or plastic. The B-12 will melt them. After the B-12 douch, I use compressed air to blast out the kling-ons, then lube up the knife with gun oil.

As far as sponge bob goes, I am beside myself with these dumbshit cartoons. Whatever happened to the good old days when they had a good story line, and you could understand what the characters were saying. When I was a kid, the Flintstones were on primetime, because it was an adult cartoon show. If sponge bob is a cult amongst adults, I'd have to question brain cell capacity and tell you to put the cap back on the glue bottle.

Best Regard's,

Bonz
Thomas Jefferson
Stone Knife

Welllll Boris...

Post by Stone Knife »

I don't know how to explain it, better than that SpongeBob's writing and performance exists on two paralell planes; on the surface is a kid's cartoon, and in the dialogue and sub-plots, which apparently are difficult for some folks to focus upon, are purely for and could only be understood by adults.

It is a similar duplicity which the (excellent and classic) Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoons had, but Spongebob has a more gaudy kid layer; however the adult sub-harmonic is, I think, on a close track...

Pass the everclear, wouldja? :wink:
FivePointOh

Post by FivePointOh »

LOL, just saw SpongBob in a Mitsubishi auto commercial tonight.

OH ya, Everclear. I made drunken cheeries using half Everclear and half Absoult in a large jar of drained marchino cheeries, then topped off with the reserved juice. Vunderbar!