Dive knife materials

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
13blades

Dive knife materials

Post by 13blades »

Hi everyone. I recently acquired a sample piece of 12c27 stainless steel. There are alot of knives I could make but I've decided on a dive knife to see how good it really is. The way I see it is salt water must be one of the harshest conditions for steel to be in and I think this will be a good way to see how it performs. My question to everyone is, other than plastic and rubber, can anyone suggest some possible handle and sheath materials? I can put rubber handles on if I need to but I would like to try something else. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
unbeliever

Re: Dive knife materials

Post by unbeliever »

In my case, i just use a rubber handle in my diving knife.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Bare metal handle, carbon fiber, G10, micrarta, frost/pakka/dymond/stamina wood, cord wrap etc :idea:
http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/index.php?cPath=40_218
13blades

Post by 13blades »

I went bare metal. The sheath is going to be tricky though. Cant use leather.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

13blades wrote:I went bare metal. The sheath is going to be tricky though. Cant use leather.
Kydex :idea:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lczZWgN4Kg
13blades

Post by 13blades »

That could work. I haven't looked for that material before. Is it used in any manufacturing industries or should I get it from a knife making supplier? I was thinking if I did a series of the dive knife I'd make up a mould and buy that two mix pot rubber stuff I've heard about. I have never bought that before but a few guys at my work say it would suit quite well. I'm still testing the steel really. I've boogied up a passable sheath for now from another knife sheath made of cheap plastic. The knife was crap and I'm thinking the sheath may be too.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I only advise on sheath materials reluctantly :idea:
I've never made a sheath that was even adequate :lol:
A quick search should find more than I'll ever know :idea:
13blades

Post by 13blades »

Sheath making does seem to be an art in itself. I've heard saddlers are quite qood at it. I know a knife maker that makes average quality knives but the best sheaths I have ever seen. He was taught by a saddler. I would like to make rubber sheaths. If I get hold of the rubber in sheets then I could design them just like the leather ones. Same principals and similar tools.