Tire slasher knife?

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
turbo_dog

Tire slasher knife?

Post by turbo_dog »

I have seen these a few times (the Spy Museum in Washington has a few on display), and I would love to find one. The vintage ones I've seen online have gone for steep prices. Even if I could find one, I couldn't afford it. And I have never seen any new ones anywhere. Does anybody know if these are being produced, or available anywhere currently? Or if anyone owns one, I would love to see a photo. I believe they are also called Saboteur Knives sometimes, too.

Here is a screen shot from the Latama web site:

and here is a similar knife, without the tire slasher blade, from a Sheffield Cutlery Company, which they call a Bex Lock knife:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Re: Tire slasher knife?

Post by Vagrant »

I believe it is a purely a cherished myth that these were "designed" to slash sidewalls :lol:
An agricultural knife with a "budding blade" was merely adapted as a "field expedient" for that purpose :wink: [If it ever REALLY happened] :?
Pay "collectors prices" if you simply "must have an original" or do a search and find a current production knife with a similar blade :idea:
Even some Swiss Armies have had one :wink:
http://www.smartknives.com/Swiss-Army-K ... -Blade.htm
Were any sidewalls slashed in WW-2 ? - probably.
Was it done by special agents with special knives made for that pupose ??
We really need to "get a grip" :wink:
TMD

Post by TMD »

I have the book Secret agent´s handbook by Mark Seaman. In it there is a reproduction off the top secret 1944 SOE Descriptive catalogue of special devices and supplies.The knife is pictured called Dagger Jack DB wit the description The large blade is dagger shaped, sharpened along one side for the whole of its length and along the other for one-third. The second blade is small and hook shaped, and is specially designed to cut the rubber of a tyre.

The other one without the tire blade was also available called only Dagger Jack

I´m sorry I don´t know where you can find one.

/ TMD
turbo_dog

Post by turbo_dog »

Thanks for the info TMD

One of these days I may get around to a project in the back of my mind: Take a foil cutter blade from a cheap corkscrew and try to mount it on a bex lock knife like pictured in my first post. I'm not sure if I can make it fit and work, but it might be fun to try.
turbo_dog

Post by turbo_dog »

Very cool- I just found exactly what you were talking about on Google books. Here's a shot of it:

from: Secret agent's handbook: the WWII spy manual of devices, disguises, gadgets ...
By Mark Seaman

Thanks again TMD
8)
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I have strong doubts that Secret agent's handbook: the WWII spy manual of devices, disguises, gadgets was actually published for any offcial use or that it was published during WW-II :wink:
Both the Brits and [less so] the Americans were "hung-up" on gadgets [briefly] but the emphasis quickly changed to better training of special units.
Most of the war it was refered to as "The United Nations vs the Axis" :idea:
So that casts a lot of doubt on the authenticity of the book :wink:
Also almost ALL such [official] info was classified until loooong after the war, the book and it's contents is for "wannabees" :wink:
turbo_dog

Post by turbo_dog »

Vagrant wrote:I have strong doubts that Secret agent's handbook: the WWII spy manual of devices, disguises, gadgets was actually published for any offcial use or that it was published during WW-II :wink:
Both the Brits and [less so] the Americans were "hung-up" on gadgets [briefly] but the emphasis quickly changed to better training of special units.
Most of the war it was refered to as "The United Nations vs the Axis" :idea:
So that casts a lot of doubt on the authenticity of the book :wink:
Also almost ALL such [official] info was classified until loooong after the war, the book and it's contents is for "wannabees" :wink:
It was published in 2001, which is, I assume, after the information in it would have been de-classified.

I agree that the idea of a dedicated tire-slashing blade is somewhat silly, and I have no first hand knowledge of their use. Almost any knife, or sharp pointy object, for that matter, could be used to flatten a tire. I don't know if they were ever issued to any spies, saboteurs, resistance agents or anyone else. But I do know that I love gadgets and I love knives, so these are right in my wheel house! (Knives and gadgets - probably why I'm so fascinated with switchblades!)

I do believe they were a real item during the war, unlike some things that you see, like the pantographic Nazi paratrooper knives, which were never issued and are a fantasy item.
Milu

Post by Milu »

The idea of a tyre slasher knife seems more trouble than it would have been worth imho. Here are some more James Bondish gadgets to go with his Walther LP53 air pistol.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldne ... -sale.html
"se me burlé, me fico un cento e vinti in tel stomego"
Goldoni: La donna di Garbo, 1753
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

A LP53 air pistol actually was used in one "espionage mission" :shock:
The "spies" that carried out the Watergate break-in used one to shoot-out a street- light, to make their activities, less easy to see :wink:
[thank you "G-man" Liddy]
This is the ONLY instance, I'm aware of, where ANY of the [assorted gadgets] were used, in real life :idea:
dp68

Post by dp68 »

I am sorry to say that most teenagers boys are card carrying jackass. I was also one :oops: Several of my friends and I used to think it was a real hoot on Sunday nights to go slash a couple of tires per vehicle. Why two? Most folks have only one jack per vehicle. I never found a tire my Buck folding hunter wouldn't slash. :oops:
I out grew that habit about the time I was fifteen years old. My Dad found out about my new hobby. Not only did I get my ass severely kicked, but he took all my guns. No deer,elk, or bird hunting that year. Things was sure different fifty years ago. :D

dp68
To many knives is not enough!