Case Identification Help

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Chrisadamley

Case Identification Help

Post by Chrisadamley »

Hey guys, I just came into a unique Case folding knife that i know nothing about. I DO know its old...but other then that i can find anything about this style of knife or what its called or anything. ANY help would be greatly appreciated! :!:

Thanks in advance, here are some pictures. The blade is in fairly good condition. The previous owner seems to have put some greenish colored wax over the blade to protect it?...it comes off easily though so im going to get it all cleaned up once i figure out what it is.

Both the case and the knife have the case stamp on them. Using a few different sites for dating Case knives i have placed it anywhere from 1920-1940....or 1932- 1940 ....

Once again ANY info on what this is would be great. Blade style anything. Thanks :)
redeye

Re: Case Identification Help

Post by redeye »

the green "wax' AS YOU CALLED IT IS KNOWS AS "VER DE GRIS" it is caused by the reacton of the brass to the leather and is kinda nasty stuff so dont get it on ya clothes as it will stain them. i would clean it off with a rag and then send the knife to me for further investigation lol it looks like a CASE brand model of the pig-stickers we have been seeing from 0ther makers from all over the world so it may be a rare one as I have never seen one like it before and i have seen a bunch of em. its a cool piece eityer way. whwre did ya find it?
I am the KING of LATAMA collectors HAHAHAHAHAHAHA {EVIL LAUGH}
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

http://www.skm.to/pages/skm/pager/a/hunt29.html
IF, it was european, I'd call it a Boar knife or Pig sticker :idea:
But I never knew that Case made one like that :?
Hopefully, one of our members will know :idea:
Very nice 8)
Chrisadamley

Post by Chrisadamley »

hmm...well i did think at first that it was caused by the brass...But wasn't sure because who i got it from said they PUT stuff on it lol. i just don't think they knew what they were talking about...should have went with my gut!

Anyways, I received this knife from my girlfriends roomate. She was cleaning out here grandmothers house for some reason and came across a few knives (this knife and an OLD buck 110 that she also gave me)...and ya, she just said i could have them or else she was just gonna throw em!!!....so ya, naturally i scooped em up :D

Thanks for your input redeye and vagrant.......like i said, i have search far and wide on the internet for this knife and have found nothing. Though im going to use the term pigsticker in my search and maybe that will turn up something.

thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy »

Whatever it is it sure is cool. you should put up some pics. of the 110, I like seeing any old knife, even if we already know what it is!
Chrisadamley

Post by Chrisadamley »

I just cleaned this knife up, and did a tiny bit of polishing per se. And its in very good condition for how old it is.

i will post some pics of the 110 in just a few minutes :)
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I'll make a WILD GUESS [but safe one] that THIS is worth MANY TIMES what the Buck is :wink: :!: :!:
Chrisadamley

Post by Chrisadamley »

Vagrant wrote:I'll make a WILD GUESS [but safe one] that THIS is worth MANY TIMES what the Buck is :wink: :!: :!:
Well considering i got it for FREE :!: lol anything its worth is more then i expected.

Though, i do have one question. IF it ends up i cant find anything about this knife, is it worth anything to anyone if they dont know its specifics and what not?.
Chrisadamley

Post by Chrisadamley »

here is a close up of the stag on both sides of the knife. Along with a few photos of the 110 for the requester :) The 110 is kinda neat because the wood scales have two different colors.

Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Chrisadamley wrote:
Vagrant wrote:I'll make a WILD GUESS [but safe one] that THIS is worth MANY TIMES what the Buck is :wink: :!: :!:
Well considering i got it for FREE :!: lol anything its worth is more then i expected.

Though, i do have one question. IF it ends up i cant find anything about this knife, is it worth anything to anyone if they dont know its specifics and what not?.
Do not "overclean" it :idea: This may be worth SERIOUS money [to the right collector] :!:
Chrisadamley

Post by Chrisadamley »

Vagrant wrote:
Do not "overclean" it :idea: This may be worth SERIOUS money [to the right collector] :!:
alright..understood. I only cleaned off the green stuff and did some "light" polishing/rubbing. I just hope to find out some more info on it. Back to google :P
turbo_dog

Post by turbo_dog »

Also search for "folding bowie" - I've seen these type knives described that way, too.

If no one here comes up with an answer for you, you also may want to post it on Bernard Levine's forum at BladeForums.com. There are a lot of people there that may be able to identify it.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forum ... .php?f=691
thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy »

Thats a cool 110! Nobody ever gives me anything that cool!
Chrisadamley

Post by Chrisadamley »

Took your advice turbo dog about posting in that section on bladeforums...and getting some very interesting responses. One guys actually found the knife in a book he has! :)

And vagrant you might be right about it being worth some decent money...he said that book listed the same knife at $750 in 1992...so who knows i guess.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

did you post the Buck 110 in the Buck section for comments?