Everyday carry knife

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Viking45

Re: Everyday carry knife

Post by Viking45 »

whippersnapper wrote:Knives like these bring back lots of memories. 8) I hope you get a chance to pass it on down to a son, or daughter Knifeguy420. 8)
The memories are what makes it all worth while.
My granddad and dad had knives growing up but they were used hard and didn't survive to be passed down. However my dad is responsible for getting me started in collecting,he gave me my first knife at 6 and continued to give me knives through the years.
I knew the basics of whittling and how a knife could close on your fingers,safety etc etc at a very early age.
Dad always worked with me on how to use tools,hold a hammer correctly and knives when i was little. At 7 I could drive a 16 penny nail in better than most adults :lol:

Knifeguy- It's great to see you still have your old knife and the fact you found another newer one to pass down.
It's these things that make this my favorite thread subject.

I only wish I had my original Barlow from the late 60's. I have no idea where or when it disappeared. I hope to find another like it someday.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I have a variety of edc[s] but almost always carry a Swissbuck :idea: It has both scissors and pliers.
The Reverend Sharp

Post by The Reverend Sharp »

My everyday use blade is an old FB 9'' Flattie;

It was a gift from a fellow Collector and came out of his Junk Box.

I made new Scales for it and developed the 'Look' my Knives have through experimenting with this one.

Being a gift from a good friend; I would never sell it and the knife is the first thing I reach for when any little job requires a Blade.

Thanks Mr L :D
Attachments
IMG_0312.JPG
IMG_0312.JPG (414.75 KiB) Viewed 9516 times
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Right now I'm carrying a colonial Model 735, honed to a "shaving sharp" edge. (I just LOVE my Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker!) I can't wait until my 9" AB Picklock with it's ATS 34 steel blade arrives! :wink: :mrgreen:

Fishtail Picklock
Fishtail Picklock
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

I've probably already mentioned this but my favorite EDC is my Bradley Mayhem, this thing is TOUGH, I've used it to cut through extension cords and various things that a blade should be expected to endure regularly and only ever had it sharpened twice over multiple years, it's still like a razor, s30v is a wonderful blade steel.

I've also dropped, dunked and otherwise abused this knife pretty nicely and it has stood up VERY well, I even fell off a moving vehicle and landed directly on the closed knife. It got a bit scratched from the asphalt but is otherwise absolutely fine. Still tighter than any other bali I've ever had either and I've never had to tighten it, just put some blue lok-tite on it the first day I got it and it's been one of my best knives ever since.

This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
Fishtail Picklock

Just received my Queen Zebra wood Small Stockman. This knife is truly wonderful! The fit and finish are superb, and the D2 steel, (while extremely difficult to sharpen) should hold an edge with equal zeal. I'll keep you posted on how long it hold an edge after I have finally finished honing it.

This should make for a wonderful dress EDC as long as I walk the earth.
Fishtail Picklock
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

and the D2 steel
I hope you dont live in a particularly humid environment.

Please be aware that D2 and any amount of moisture are not friends and should not be introduced to one another
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
Fishtail Picklock

Not to worry, I have plans for preventing corrosion. There are some light lubricants that will prevent the "demon rust" from attacking (and ultimately killing) my precious, prized possession. :shock:
Fishtail Picklock
redeye

Post by redeye »

This is my EDC knife custom PICKLOCK PAT HAVLIN " patch knife" full auto with 10,000 or more year old crackled mammoth ivory I frikken love this knife.
image.jpg
image.jpg (19.16 KiB) Viewed 8624 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (17.37 KiB) Viewed 8624 times
I am the KING of LATAMA collectors HAHAHAHAHAHAHA {EVIL LAUGH}
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Glad you brought this back up Freddie,been wanting to post pictures of my EDC and this time I am posting what my Dad carries.

My Microtech UMS (Uniformed Military Services) with S30-V steel is dated 04/2003 and I have carried it off/on since the day I got it.
It has only been touched up one time in all the years,in fact I basically just polished the edge as I do not use it hard.
I have a back up I use for nasty chores,however I have indeed used the UMS several times for some serious cutting and it has no signs of wear and I think it's because of Microtech's "Stone Wash" finish. doesn't show blemished like a highly polished blade.

My hard use knife is the huge ZT (Zero Tolerance) Model 0200,you can see battle scars on it. Very bulky, heavy but I like big,heavy knives.(154CM steel)
Sometimes when we are going to friends house or someplace laid back I carry my little Hubertus with rosewood scales,people always want to see what I have and the chicks don't freak out over this knife. 8)
The top knife is a CRKT Crawford/Kasper(China) and is the best 20 bucks I have ever spent on a knife. Fact is at least 5 of my buddies all have one courtesy of myself. Can't have friends only half dressed.
Big heavy made knife but thin signature in the pocket and absolutely rock solid lock-up and decent blade steel. I challenge anyone to find a better quality knife of this magnitude for 20 bucks. if you do it may be another CRKT.
The large lockback is a rare Schrade LB7 Uncle Henry possibly from 1971-1973. Bought it from a guy that had a close friend that worked for Schrade in Walden,New York. This one has two pins at the rear of the scale,later models have just one. Much heavier and better built than later models. I carry it every now and then when the mood is right.
The Case Mako is another knife I carry when I am feeling nostalgic. Wanted one of these knives for 30 years or more. Rock solid.
Greg if you see this- A Huge Thank You brother,I love it.

I thought I would post pics of my Dad's EDC knives.
Top one is a CRKT Crawford/Kasper
Next is a full 4 1/2" Applegate/Fairbairn Gerber in the more difficult to find green scales.
Third knife is the best 4 bucks I ever spent on a knife. It's beautiful with real burled wood scales.Yep it's made in China.
Next is the first Mikov I ever bought back in the ole Blade Auction days. Dad loves it and it will jump outta yer hand if not careful.
Last is an older Boker green pick bone scales and has the old school deep tamp stamps. Made in Germany.
I gave all these knives to my dad (82 years old) because he gave me my first knife in 1968. He has a lot more but these are his EDC and the big Gerber is the one he carries almost every day. (Notice the nail polish on the thumb stud) Not sure what that's about but maybe it's easier to see.
Attachments
UMS-01.jpg
UMS-01.jpg (147.82 KiB) Viewed 8559 times
UMS-02.jpg
UMS-02.jpg (147.71 KiB) Viewed 8559 times
Mix-01.jpg
Mix-01.jpg (401.39 KiB) Viewed 8559 times
dads1.jpg
dads1.jpg (196.36 KiB) Viewed 8559 times
hogwild
Location: Proudly chasing the dollar to "share" with parasites

Post by hogwild »

Made my day to see that Mako posted. Blessed my heart to send it to knife loving friend. Greg
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises
Roccomo

Post by Roccomo »

I got this knife in 2003 as a user and it's been an on and off EDC over the years. Full time carry for the last three.

Last edited by Roccomo on Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sammy da blade

Post by sammy da blade »

I carry cheapo knives, I may have to use it as a screwdriver and I don't want to bugger up a nice one
thuggin -N- buggin, that's how i roll!
big_slim

Post by big_slim »

Here are my two main EDC's. The all black one is a Ken Onion Leek that I carry/use pretty much all the time. I keep it wicked sharp. The other one is a Taiwan Godfather copy that I carry a lot also. I've got a couple of other users but these are the main ones. I was carrying my kris blade Latama in my jacket pocket all winter but it's finally too warm for that. I never use it but it's got that mojo...
Attachments
edc's.jpg
edc's.jpg (107.45 KiB) Viewed 6684 times
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

My new edc is a boker blue whale, 21 buck dollars from bladeplay. Large blade and kinda of pimp looking, excellent knife for the money and a descent edge out of the box.
2024 candidate for president