New York City law enforcement.....

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Tom19176

New York City law enforcement.....

Post by Tom19176 »

I posted this at Blade Forumns, but I figured I would do so here too...

Another NYC Arrest

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a former NYC LEO and now manage malls and have off duty NYPD work for me in the malls. That backround explained, one of my off duties works in the warrant division ( the guys who come get you when you miss a court date). He had to bring in a woman who works in Manhattan setting up stages for Broadway Plays, because she was arrested for having a Kershaw Blur along with her tools when she entered the subway. She was held for almost two days, wrongly charged with a felony instead of the misdameanor. When the ADA saw her, he realized she was mis charged with a felony and lowered it, then offered her a plea deal to a violation ( which would not have given her a criminal record), but she had to plead guilty. She refused to do so, based on the fact that she bought the knife at Walmart offered openly for sale to anyone, and she understood that it was a spring assisted knife and not a switchblade. She was released and told she would be mailed a court date, but she was never notified of when to appear in court and a warrant was issued for her arrest. My guy had to pick her up at her house at 2 AM. She was brought back to jail and released with a new court date. I don't know her, but I feel deeply for her in this situation. She was enetring the subway with a bag of tools and the Blur clipped to her pocket. The officer must have really been "looking" to arrest her as the exposed knife law does not prevent the carry of a exposed knife for a worker to and from their job and while working. He did upon seeing the knife openly displayed have the right to see if it was a leagl knife, but in my day he would have been laughed out of the sation house for a BS arrest like this. My guys who work with me state they see it all the time....
sandbar

Re: New York City law enforcement.....

Post by sandbar »

Innocent people are taken to jail daily, because the officer didn't know the law! Imagine that, a police officer enforcing the laws, he knows nothing about! I have law enforcement officers within my family and they would slap this guy for wasting the time and money to make an arrest of this caliber.
Results are directly driven, by the work that is done.
hogwild
Location: Proudly chasing the dollar to "share" with parasites

Post by hogwild »

Common sense used to work for the police and civilians. Now nearly everything can be illegal depending on circumstances. I don't find fault with LEO here; it's the nanny-state I blame. Maybe the sheeple who vote for them too.
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises
sandbar

Post by sandbar »

hogwild wrote:Common sense used to work for the police and civilians. Now nearly everything can be illegal depending on circumstances. I don't find fault with LEO here; it's the nanny-state I blame. Maybe the sheeple who vote for them too.

SHEEPLE----LOVE IT!
Results are directly driven, by the work that is done.
catavengercaptain

Post by catavengercaptain »

Can you explain this "exposed" knife law to me? I thought concealled knives were illegal?
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Sorry for the delay in responding as I did not see the question. In many areas you are correct that a knife must be visible. For years, in NY it could be carried anyway so long as it was legal and not carried as a weapon. Under Mayor Kock in the 1980s, the law was changed ,just in NYC, to state the knife must have under a 4" blade and it must not be visible. This was done since many people were carring fixed blades and folding knives in belt pouches, and this lead to issues in NYC.
catavengercaptain

Post by catavengercaptain »

Sounds crazy to me but thx for the info. :shock: