US Government to Ban Pocket Knives June 30th, 2009

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
roadsideimports

US Government to Ban Pocket Knives June 30th, 2009

Post by roadsideimports »

If we don't do something then we will loose many of our rights, this matter is serious, it is not made up or fantasy.

This is urgent for all knife users.

You can find out information at:
http://www.kniferights.org/
and
http://akti.org/

TO HELP SPEED THINGS ALONG THIS IS A MODEL LETTER THAT CAN BE USED TO EXPRESS YOUR DISAPPROVAL TO THE NEW LAW WHICH WILL TAKE PLACE JUNE 30TH, 2009

PLEASE SEND THIS BEFORE THE JUNE 21ST, 2009 DEADLINE.

[INSERT DATE]

[INSERT NAME AND MAILING ADDRESS]

U.S. Customs and Border Protection
Office of International Trade
Regulations and Rulings
Mint Annex
799 9th Street N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20229

Attn: Intellectual Property and Restricted Merchandise Branch

RE: PROPOSED REVOCATION OF RULING LETTERS AND REVOCATION OF TREATMENT RELATING TO THE ADMISSIBILTY [sic] OF CERTAIN KNIVES WITH SPRING-ASSISTED OPENING MECHANISMS

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing in regards to your proposed revocation referenced above. I am an owner and daily user of folding knives which would appear to be covered under your proposal. While I am having difficulty wading through your 63-page document and making complete sense of it, your 30-day comment period obliges me to at least let you know that it is very concerning to me on many levels and that I oppose this proposal.

In the first place, your 30-day comment period is unreasonably short. You cannot realistically expect us to actually understand all the myriad ramifications of this long and complicated proposal in a couple weeks, all the time left to me as a member of the public since I have just now found out about this proposal which was not widely circulated originally. This is made worse by your lack of an email address to send comments to as I must allow time for Postal Service delivery.

The definition of what is a switchblade has been clear and settled since the Federal Switchblade Act was passed in 1958. Your position is particularly questionable and irreconcilable because it flies in the face of virtually unanimous recent state court rulings (including several cases in California, Texas, Illinois and Michigan) where the issue of assisted-opening knives has already been decided in favor of the existing clear interpretation, that they are not a switchblade. Your convoluted reasoning for expanding this definition doesn't pass the common sense test, nor is it in line with current judicial rulings.

Even worse, it appears your proposal redefines gravity and inertia knives so broadly that many, if not most pocketknives will fall under its sweep. I and millions of knife owners will be affected. Because your "agency determination" will be used by domestic courts and law enforcement to determine what is a "switchblade" under both federal and state laws, the impact will be felt far more widely than just by importers. Many states fail to define switchblades and simply rely on the federal interpretation. This proposal would make it illegal for me and 40 million fellow law-abiding Americans to own a simple pocket knife.

Your attempt to redefine switchblades will also unnecessarily cost thousands of Americans their jobs. Many knife companies would be put out of business and their employees, dealers and others would be left jobless, needlessly doing great economic harm to our nation in a time of economic crisis.

I respectfully request that you do not proceed with this proposal, and that at a minimum, you provide a much longer comment period to allow me and my millions of fellow knife owners adequate time to properly review and comment. I also request that you allow us to submit comments via email. It is unconscionable in these difficult and technologically advanced times to force me to spend money to send my comments via postal mail.

Sincerely,

[INSERT SIGNATURE]

[INSERT NAME]
sammy the blade

Re: US Government to Ban Pocket Knives June 30th, 2009

Post by sammy the blade »

Guess he was wrong about that.
2024 candidate for president
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

He was wrong about a lot of things!
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
NorthCarolinaDude

Post by NorthCarolinaDude »

LOL. Nice work Bill, and good setup Sammy!
Poo Poo

Post by Poo Poo »

As happens in many fora,the headline is either purposely or accidentally totally inaccurate.
The gov't banned the importation of switchblades.Many here know how some get around this.
Pocket knives are still legal.
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

I never understood the switchblade ban.
I grew up with a Marine Kabar, and a Machete, and a Sykes-Fairbaine Stiletto Dagger.

And my personality runs away from Drama. . .whether live in person. . .or in written form.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Much like my gas stove, they are dangerous and must be banned!
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

I look for a ban on thumbs in the near future.
2024 candidate for president
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

sammy the blade wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:56 pm I look for a ban on thumbs in the near future.
Just the opposable kind.
Poo Poo

Post by Poo Poo »

whippersnapper wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:52 am Much like my gas stove, they are dangerous and must be banned!
It is now 2023.....have pocket knives been banned? NO,nothing has happened since 2009.
and that is what will happen to gas stoves.....NOTHING
john

Post by john »

I love my gas stove and my heating system.
Some if not all new housing developments in Boston are going all electric. Sounds great? Wait till the electric power grid goes down in the middle of winter during a blizzard or a heat wave in the middle of summer.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Poo Poo wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:33 pm
whippersnapper wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:52 am Much like my gas stove, they are dangerous and must be banned!
It is now 2023.....have pocket knives been banned? NO,nothing has happened since 2009.
and that is what will happen to gas stoves.....NOTHING
Unfortunately, not true. San Francisco and Berkeley have prohibited the installation of gas service in new construction and large remodels. This is just the start of more crazy nannyism.

WARNING: Once something is taken away, getting it back is very difficult, if even possible.