Pass the mayonnaise.

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
The Tourist

Pass the mayonnaise.

Post by The Tourist »

When I first became a serious knife collector in the mid 1990s I bought every fancy-schmancy knife that came down the line. At one time I had four Microtech tanto USSOCOMs just in case one got dirty. Yikes.

As time went on I started to eat with my run-of-the-mill Emersons, although I must admit I do own a handmade CQC7.

My collecting habit got so bad at one point that I would carry two EDC knives--one to look pretty and one to actually use.

Then about two years ago I was eating sandwiches with my wife, and I needed to spread mayonnaise. Without any other knife at the ready, I used my EDC and waited for the sky to fall. Nothing happened, in fact, I felt pretty good about it.

After that I bought both a Graham SS3 and a Stubby. I made sure both whacked a hotdog in half at the Harley shop.

And so began a very serious tradition, one that I call "mayonnaising."

If I own a knife, and I can plunge it into food without a coronary, then I keep it. If the idea of using a pristine collectible stops me, then the knife is sold. As you know, my Woodards are going.

Price is not really a factor. I have a Strider SnG that is a "user." I slather tons of gravy over my Myerchins and toss them into the sink. Now, I'm careful with all of my things, my bike looks showroom fresh. But my standard is now "use it or lose it."

I intend to cut a sandwich in half later today with my new Godfather and then wash it with today's dishes. However, the 50th anniversary Campolin is obviously for sale for my business. One will work, the other is a "queen."

And you know something--I have never felt so free!