sharpening bayonet blade?

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
boden

sharpening bayonet blade?

Post by boden »

any suggestions, i cant seem to get a decent edge on a fb 11 inch ive decided to carry. so far ive tried diamond rod and flat diamond,arkansas medium and fine ceramic rod even tried reshaping edge with a file and start over again ,nothing. :(
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Re: sharpening bayonet blade?

Post by Teddy »

boden wrote:any suggestions, i cant seem to get a decent edge on a fb 11 inch ive decided to carry. so far ive tried diamond rod and flat diamond,arkansas medium and fine ceramic rod even tried reshaping edge with a file and start over again ,nothing. :(
Most of the guys will tell you that getting a decent cutting edge on a bayonet blade is very difficult... also most stiletto blades are made from a type of stainless steel that doesn't hold an edge too well anyway .... if it's a PLAIN blade you should be able to get a reasonable cutting edge on it...

Best wishes
Teddy
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

A bayo is ground thick if you looked at it stright on it would have the shape of a diamond. the lower cutting edge is ground fat at almost no angle so it looks like a V it has not been hollow ground or concave ground as a matter of fact it is really only ground to shape. The steel is the same as a standard or kriss 420J. Trying to put an edge on a bayo means taking alot of steel off essentially re grinding to a flatter surface that would then take an edge. It can be done but unless your good with a belt sander and feel comfortable that the knife isn't going to fly out of your hands and go right in your left eye you would do it with a lot of time and about 3 different flat stones .Course,medium or fine and extra fine. It can take quite a while and if you don't know how to use flat stones its a great way to learn.LOL Myself I admit years ago to wanting a razor sharp bayo and I did get one pretty sharp but far from razor sharp cause frankly you will never achieve that kind of sharpness with that blade shape and the steel used. Now I don't even notice how sharp an old Italian is because I'm interested in the condition of the blade overall and the duller the knife the better the chances are that it was never sharpened.
PB
boden

Post by boden »

i would be happy with pretty sharp but its not there yet. ive reshaped the blade angle with a file twice and rehoned and polished it but i think im going to take off more steel to get what i want. this is the first bayonet blade ive sharpened and will probably be the last. thanks for the information.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Be very careful when using a file on a blade. I for one would not recomend it and the results are better by starting with a very coarse stone to take off steel quickly. The best thing to use is a coarse diamond stone they work like lightening but are much more expensive. and you would need at least an 8" to a 12" for a 11" blade and diamond stones that big are around $100. For that money I just have a fine but am in the market for an extra fine. Files can heat the blade which can interfere with the temper which is very iffy on 420J to begin with. They can also scratch the blade with one small slip. Save the files for your lawn mower blades.
PB
Last edited by Pushbutton on Sat Jul 19, 2003 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boden

Post by boden »

its done. only took about 7 days at about 3hours a day to reshape the blade where it will shave. i ran out of oil for my ark. oilstone so i tried the only thing i had at hand, brasso. maybe the small amount of abrasive in the brasso did the trick, dont care it worked. now lets see how long it will hold. :D
catavenger

just curious

Post by catavenger »

Why were you will to go to that much work? :?:
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Boden
Now you can see what I mean keep that one as a sharp example and proof that you were able to do it. Like Catavenger says "why go to all that trouble?" If I were to put an edge on every bayo I have I would be old and grey by the time I was finished. Plus no matter how sharp it is the basic shape of the blade makes it useless as a user unless your Idea of using it is to create mayhem :wink: . Get your self something with a lot of belly on the blade and good steel as your EDC.
PB
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

I don't know where my manners are this morning must have left them at the all night orgy but just wanted to say Welecome to the forum Catavenger. Is your handle related to you liking to put a good beating on an animal abuser? If so Welecome again.
PB
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Welcome Catavenger.

If you want to carry a stiletto with a decent edge, go for ats34 standard blade. Much easier to sharpen and holds an edge. I've given up on trying to put a decent edge on a bayo.
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
catavenger

Some thing to do

Post by catavenger »

Oh well maybe it was alot of work but it may have been a fun project sharping that bayonet. :) Thx to all who have welcomed me here. The term CatAvenger ( thats how I spell it ) does have something to do with whuping animal abusers but its the name of my cats pirate ship if you visit my website http://www.catavenger.com hopefully this will make sense! :wink:
boden

Post by boden »

the reason i spent so much time putting a razor edge on a bayonet blade? mostly stubborness, i was not going to quit while there was any blade left. after i got it to shave i sold it so i dont how long it held, not long i suspect.
missaman

Post by missaman »

Pushbutton wrote:I don't know where my manners are this morning must have left them at the all night orgy but just wanted to say Welecome to the forum Catavenger. Is your handle related to you liking to put a good beating on an animal abuser? If so Welecome again.
PB
i missed an all night orgy :shock: were there any women there :P
we all know my love for cats :roll:
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Missaman
Women? Why who else would be at an orgy besides all women and one yours truely 8)
PB
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

A Lansky or Gatco will eventually sharpen a Bayo to shaving sharp [I've done it] but is it WORTH IT????? [Maybe to prove a point, but not for any practical reason].