wicked cold steel.....

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

wicked cold steel.....

Post by mrbigg »

thanks to the threads started by the recently defunct fishschtickz pricklick, i learned of an awesome knife that i had no idea was so wicked until i actually had one in my hands!

yes boys and girls, we are talking about the cold steel "vaquero grande"!!!

this baad boy is over 13" long :shock: razor sharp, and sports the "nogales" serated clip point blade that's nearly 6" long, and 3.5 mm's thick!! this is a serious knife, that's for sure!
FivePointOh

Post by FivePointOh »

Damn man, that's one big ass blade! Congrats.

mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

yup it's one scary knife!

i've been trying to take pics of it, but i'm having problems getting the lighting right with my new digital camera, the blades come out so shiney, they screw up the pic, or it kind of looks orangy!?!

i'm gonna wait for some natural light tomorrow, then i'll post some good pics.....and some other new ones i treated myself to :D

here's what i mean....you can almost see some filework(grind?) on the top of the tang. it's a solid knife...
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

very nice... that is a user for sure... so many things you can rip up w/ a knife like that... :twisted: err, boxes and such of course
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

Theres a 5" blade model as well, infact the one mr.bigg has is called "Vaquero grande XL" the "Vaquero grande" has a 5" blade, which I believe can be legally carried in Texas Benny... hehe

Post by 666 »

What's also nice about this knife is the speed in which it can be snapped out. The blade is tight, but with a flick-o-da wrist, it comes screaming out with a super-loud "thunk". :lol:
Last edited by 666 on Sun Jun 01, 2003 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Do What Thou Wilt Shall Be The Whole Of The Law"
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

J-man wrote:Theres a 5" blade model as well, infact the one mr.bigg has is called "Vaquero grande XL" the "Vaquero grande" has a 5" blade, which I believe can be legally carried in Texas Benny... hehe
j-man,

this is the vaquero grande, there is also one called "el vaquero" which is the one you are talking about. it has a 5" blade. this info is straight from cold steel. my advice, go grande!!!

mr 666,

so far, i'm not able to get it to fly open with the wrist tecnique, but i'll be practicing :twisted:
FivePointOh

Post by FivePointOh »

MrBigg, the best time to take pix outdoors is on an overcast day between 10am and 2pm.
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

thanks mr fivepointoh!

that sounds like today! once i get a few more coffees down my neck, i'll be outside scaring my neighbors with my new toys :twisted: :twisted:
FivePointOh

Post by FivePointOh »

Your more than welcome Sir!

Mmmmm.....Coffee!
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

mr fivepointoh,

i forgot to mention that mine is different from the one in the pic you posted. mine says "cold steel" on the backside of the blade, and has the filed/ground spots on top of the tang.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Mr Bigg
Believe it or not they are legal to carry in Calif. For the reasons you would have to search BF archives. Now let me know how you make out when it gets dull :wink: Lynn Thompson IMHO is one of the biggest blowhards in Knife Co ownerships. He can come up with more explanations for the steel he use and the ways its prepared yet never tell you a thing. Maybe he would have made a better politician. But after all these years the only good fact about CS steel is their Carbon V series found on some fixed blades. That is an excellent steel but what he uses on his folders is anyones guess and my guess would be a low grade in the 420 series. Lynn talks a mean game and makes you really want one of his knives but the only one that ever turned me on was his rendition of the Big Bear Classic after the Loveless design but the knife was around $200 and up and for money like that I want decent steel and he didn't even make it in Carbon V.
PB
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

thanks for the info mr PB,

i'll remember to take it with me the next time i visit CALI (never if us customs has their way)!

so what you are saying is that the steel on this knife is shit, and i'm never going to be able to sharpen this thing...hhmmmm you are definately right about the sharpening, i have trouble with a plain edge :D

i have a CS trail guide that has the carbonV blade, veeerrrryyy sharp :shock:
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Mr Bigg
What I am really saying is you my friend have a full serrated edge and if you compare CS serrations to SpyderCo or BM you will notice a world of diff in how they are cut into the blade. Heres a little trick for all you idiots who love serrated edges (As you can tell they have always been a bone of contention with me) If you have deep cut serrations take a flat stone and use the fine side and rub each serration by hand using the corner or edge of the stone it takes a while but you can resharpen and don't need any fancy dohickys to accomplish this. If I am correct and my memory is still intact CS searrations are more like a waves with lines cut into them which makes resharpening hard. You can rough up a plain edge to cut aggresivly like serrations and then polish it back to a razor edge but you can't do it witha knife already serrated. And I don't give a rats ass how many of you are going to tell me serrations can be very useful. Yeah useful cutting a loaf of french bread. So I am ready to listen to all your miserable feeble excuses for serrations being good but you all know my answer so fire away. And please don't start with the rope and plastic pipe cutting because that falls under strictly tool use for a knife. which is a whole other thread
PB
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. PushButton,

I agree that the above knife is perfectly legal to carry here in commie California, as long as the knife is not concealed. As far as serrations go, to me they are a gimmick meant to attract the macho knife nut, and give everybody watching the Ginsu commercials a hard-on for them. They are true pieces of certified shit and I don't have any in my collection, nor kitchen.

Best Regard's,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson