The Okapi Ratchet Knife - Question

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Cryptomecanic

Re: The Okapi Ratchet Knife - Question

Post by Cryptomecanic »

how is it going with the filing guys, are you fliping them by the blade or by the handle?
79spitfire

Post by 79spitfire »

Vagrant wrote:Hundreds of switches and assisted openers and we are on page FOUR of modifying a [cheap but good] knife into a fast opener. This is almost humerous :wink:
Ya,Gotta Lovvve it!!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
What knife?

79spitfire

Post by 79spitfire »

Cryptomecanic wrote:how is it going with the filing guys, are you fliping them by the blade or by the handle?
I'm trying to hold the handle and flip the blade, almost have it, but I pulled something in my forearm, have to lay off until I get better. Once I get the profile right it may be easer to pull the blade to get it filed to shape..

P.S. page 5.... :mrgreen:
What knife?

--J

Post by --J »

Mr. Fire...go left...it's almost like...never mind...go left... :lol:
Cryptomecanic

Post by Cryptomecanic »

did anybody ever find out how to flip them open with a finger through the ring
79spitfire

Post by 79spitfire »

I got mine to "flip" but it's not real elegant (yet). I kinda have to hold it just so, which makes it real hard to have it be a "switchblade" type look. I may have to put a larger ring on it as I have fat fingers... I need to look at the Keith Richards video again, but it's kinda hard to see exactly how he's holding it when he opens it. I wish that Tobango dude that showed off for MrFashon would show up and clear it all up for us...
What knife?

fashionable_man

Post by fashionable_man »

I've given up on it, after breaking one! My interest has moved on to acquiring sailor-style pocket knives and some choice autos :)
krakenten

Post by krakenten »

Cold Steel has a version called the Kudu, they say it's superior(I dunno.).

A Jamacian song says, "Walkin' down de road, wit a rachet in your waist, Johnny you're too bad....."

I had one, once, and I'm damned if I know how to open it one handed, but it can be done.

Frankly, I wasn't impressed with it, but it did take a good edge, much like the legendary Douk-Douk knife, which is often used as a razor.

And sometimes for circumcisions, too, oh, Go To Hell!
Life has no value, Death has a price
79spitfire

Post by 79spitfire »

I've got one that won't hold an edge, you look at the stupid thing wrong and it goes dull.
I've got another that I ground the ratchets down on and it is wicked sharp and stays that way.
I've also got a Kudu, it's an good knife, but it doesn't have the "handmade" charm of the "real deal"

It does hold an edge though..
What knife?

Cryptomecanic

Post by Cryptomecanic »

when I got mine I reworked the edge with a file an oil stone and a steel (from a meat procesing plant)
Scary Sharp ! I thought for shur it was going to be in 3 or 4 pieces when I threw it down on the cement trying to flip it,all it had was a little dent on the end of the handle (Not bad for 2 pieces of wood glued together with a strip of metal in between)
fashionable_man

My interest is re-peaked. Just ordered another two to mess around with. Can't stay away from the buggers.
dart

Post by dart »

I went to the site and here's what he says, "I found the ring pull blade release tricky at first, but it quickly became second nature. (I put my middle finger in the ring and apply pressure on the blade with my thumb.)" But it sounds like he is only closing the Okapi and not opening it? Any ideas? I'd like to open mine with one hand and close it with one hand.
Use a bigger knife.
fashionable_man

Hey Dart,

Are you referring to the Ragweed site? If so, yeah, he is talking about how he closes the knife.

http://www.ragweedforge.com/closing-okapi.jpg
dart

Post by dart »

fashionable_man wrote:Hey Dart,

Are you referring to the Ragweed site? If so, yeah, he is talking about how he closes the knife.

http://www.ragweedforge.com/closing-okapi.jpg
Yes Sir, that's what I was referring to. Thanks for the reply. I have 4 Cold Steel Kudus and have been opening and closing them with both hands. The backsprings are tough and I doubt I can open the Okapi or Kudu with one hand but I hope someone can figure out how and tell the rest of us.
Use a bigger knife.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I sure we can make 6 pages on this :lol:
We know it's easy to do IF you file the ratchets :idea: http://www.imeem.com/people/IYOwl_Y/mus ... het_knife/
We know Richards was arrested in Arkansas [of course :roll: ] for having one, IF, you read ALL the links :idea: [Charges later dropped] :idea: Link is also on page 3 :idea:
We know that some people are STILL looking for the "secret" :?:
This thread will never set a record, for length, but it may get "honorable mention" :wink: