The Okapi Ratchet Knife - Question

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
fashionable_man

The Okapi Ratchet Knife - Question

Post by fashionable_man »

As always I have another question. I'm really getting into the Okapi ratchet knife. It's a big daddy of a lock-back, measuring about 9 1/2 inches and ratchets open. To release the lock you loop one finger thru a ring attached to the backspring and give it a good tug, while closing the blade with the other. Here's a link to a site where you can see a pic; it's the top one:

http://www.ragweedforge.com/okapi.jpg

Here's my question. This one goes out to anyone familiar with the knife. I've read that in Jamaica, where the knife is quite popular and called a "three star", many of the locals can open 'em with one hand, which mystifies me. Anyone know how they do this? I think it has something to do with looping your index finger thru the ring whilst flicking your wrist, but there's a crazy amount of tension on the backspring and it doesn't really move without a really good tug. Someone theorized that they must permanently bend the backspring back, but I think that would compromise lock-up and would lead to a lot of blade play. Another theory was that they file down the notches on the back of the blade, so that it doesn't ratchet while opening it, so you can just flick it open, again I'm not too sure about this either.

So, like I said. Is there anyone who knows these knives and how they do it? Being a knife-nut and a recent convert to the 100-or-so year old knife, I need to know :)
fashionable_man

Re: The Okapi Ratchet Knife - Question

Vagrant! Help! You are the oracle.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

:?: :?: :?: :?:
I just spent a few minutes playing with mine and I'm clueless :? :? :?
Yes I have one too :wink:
But I;ve had a stroke and a few head injuries so there are brighter people [and I've already proven that on another thread] :lol:
If I think of anything [other than filing the ratchet] I'll let you know :idea:
cutnstuf_deleted

Post by cutnstuf_deleted »

I've got one of these and I don't see how you could do it with seriously compromising the integrity of the knife.

Cut
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Never came accross one that could be flicked open as a gravity knife, and I have seen my share of them. The Jamicans do carry them for sure, but the flicking open part maybe taken in the same light as "Rasta man don't die" in my book.....The only way I can see is to bend the back spring and there by destroy the lock up of the knife. When used as a weapon, they were mostly a slashing type knife, so the firm locking of the blade is not as important. Don't forget, Jamica itself, has many very poor areas, and the knives there that flick open maybe well worn if they exist. These knives were not chosed by the criminals of the Island after they reviewed several other tactical knives and settled on these. These are the only knives that they could buy at the time they were knife shopping.....
fashionable_man

Thanks for all of the input guys. I should also add that I've seen my own knife flicked open and it's pretty stiff, 'cause it's fairly new. A friend of a friend's husband from Tobago saw my knife peeking out of my back pocket (it's my new EDC) and exclaimed, "You got a 'tree star'"! He recognized the knife of his misspent youth. I handed it over and with a good swing of his arm, he flicked it open and closed and open and closed again. The sound was comparable to someone "raking" a pump shotgun. I was a bit too shocked to ask him how he did it and it happened a bit too quickly for me to see how.

It can be done, but again, how?????
Vanagas

Post by Vanagas »

fashionable_man wrote:Thanks for all of the input guys. I should also add that I've seen my own knife flicked open and it's pretty stiff, 'cause it's fairly new. A friend of a friend's husband from Tobago saw my knife peeking out of my back pocket (it's my new EDC) and exclaimed, "You got a 'tree star'"! He recognized the knife of his misspent youth. I handed it over and with a good swing of his arm, he flicked it open and closed and open and closed again. The sound was comparable to someone "raking" a pump shotgun. I was a bit too shocked to ask him how he did it and it happened a bit too quickly for me to see how.

It can be done, but again, how?????
Strong fingers?
Mike
turbo_dog

Post by turbo_dog »

I don't know how they do it, but you are in good company if you carry a ratchet knife: Keith Richards

I found that link which reminded me of this video where you can briefly see what I think is a ratchet knife being flicked open at about the 2:03 mark, and being closed again later in the video(2:33). I used to think it was a switchblade, but maybe not. Kind of hard to be sure- if you blink you'll miss it.
--J

Post by --J »

--------------
Last edited by --J on Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fashionable_man

To all fellow Canadians, I found that Ragweed Forge has the best price and shipping costs for Canada. Here's a link:

http://www.ragweedforge.com/HistoricalK ... html#okapi

He charges $10 for the large, ring, lock-back. I ordered two of 'em and he only charged me $3 to ship 'em to Ontario!!!!
fashionable_man

Thanks for the video link Turbo. Keith definitely carries one, he talks about it in a recent interview with Blender magazine. There's an audio clip out there too. Said he learned how to use it in Jamaica, and has been carrying it for self-defense ever since. He got busted for carrying the knife somewhere in the U.S. back in the 70s.

How DO they do it? I'm I going to have to fly to Jamaica to find out :)
--J

Post by --J »

Thanks for the heads up Mr. Man, I've sent him an E-, what kind of blade steel, do ya know?
fashionable_man

Carbon steel. Takes a fine edge. If you figure out how to open it with one hand, let me know! You'll be pleasantly surprised as to how super light these knives are too, great for the back pocket.
--J

Post by --J »

Beautiful, and at that price, I'm getting two...
79spitfire

Post by 79spitfire »

Sounds good. Just ordered one!
What knife?