What was your first knife?

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Springmesser

What was your first knife?

Post by Springmesser »

Back in the early 60s my dad took our family to Idora Amusement Park over by Youngstown Ohio......my dad gave me a fist full of coins and left me at the arcade......I started playing one of those steam shovel/crane games because there was a pearl handle pocket knife in the treasure pile......I tried for 2hrs to get that pocket knife.....I finally got the knife in the scoop and was lifting it up...when my dad came back....I was all excited....I got the pocket knife but the carny tried to back out and was not gonna give it to me....my dad said my son won that knife fair n square...you had better give it to him before I jerk you over the counter and kick the shit out of you.....the carny handed me the knife and I was like alright...I was as happy as a kid could be! :)
butch

Re: What was your first knife?

Post by butch »

First knife was an old case barlow first switchblade was a 9 inch frank B button open button close white acryilic stiletto both long gone. :cry:
El Gringo

Post by El Gringo »

Matter of fact I was just thinking of mine last weekend. I'll be going to my moms house...if I can find it I'll put a pic up. It was a tiny fixed blade that my brother gave me in 1972, I was 7 yrs old. Hope its still there.

Bob
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

Mine was a manual folder styled like a stiletto switch, bought at the State Fair in the early 60's; the bolsters and scales were 1 piece "stamped" tinplate, with some thin pearl celluloid wrapped around the scale sections. Uncompromisingly cheap and crappy, but it looked kind of cool. At the time I bought it, I had my girlfriend's name engraved on the blade. The affair lasted all of two or three weeks, but I kept the knife for about 10 years.

Tom
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I went to 1st grade with a "Scout" knife" [unofficial one]. My present for "graduating" Kindergarten 8)
That was my 2nd knife :wink: I forget what I had in Kindergarten :?
[Some single edge pen knife, that was probably "better" than the Scout knife, but the Scout had lots more, seldom used, "stuff" on it] :lol:
79spitfire

Post by 79spitfire »

My Grand parents gave me a Case 3 bladed jack knife when I was about 7, my parents weren't thrilled, as I had managed to cut myself on every sharp thing in the house, and regularly hurt myself with an x-acto knife I had for model making (or would that count as first???) :roll:
What knife?

Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

It only counts if you carried it all the time :wink:
j.a.c.

Post by j.a.c. »

don't remember the brand , Schrade maybe but it was a little pocket knife with a couple blades and a can opener. Similar to a camper. Got it for my 7th or 8th birthday. I was so proud , I had to pull it out every few minutes and play with it. Couple days later I lost it in the woods out back. I was heartbroken but also afraid to say anything , so everyday for a week I searched for it ,but had no luck. Some how my father found out about it , so on Saturday he suggested we go look for it together. We walked down the path and it way just laying there in a spot I had checked a dozen times.
Ended up having the knife for about 20 years before I finally lost it for good.
I didn't find out till many years later that my father was upset when he heard I lost it ,but when he saw how bad I felt he went nad bought a replacement and put it where we would find it.
Turns out he used MY birthday money for the second one. :roll:
--J

Post by --J »

-------
Last edited by --J on Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

A few of my first knives my grandpa gave me. I can remember having the small fixed blade and the hammer back in kindergarden. The little stag fixed blade cleaned more than a few fish and small game back than, and seemed ancient to me even than.

We lived down the road from the old Olsen Knife company, so most of my first knives were of that brand...Sadly, I don't have any left. I do still have by cub scout and Boy scout knives, and this small folder that is similar to what I usually had in my pocket.

My first switch was an old metal handled Presto paratrooper, and is long gone now.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The longest I've held on to one is 45 years :wink:
This one was my Gradfathers and I've had it since I was 16 :!:
George Wostenholm I-XL 8)
Wild guess is it is pre WW-1 or between that and WW-II
NEVER really sharpened, just "touched-up" with a crock stick or steel a few times. It still shaves :)
El Gringo

Post by El Gringo »

Vagrant, that looks sweet. Do you have any idea on what it may be worth being from around the 1930's period? Looks like youve kept it very prestine. I know its not something you'd sell.
On another note...I'm gonna be mighty pissed if I cant find my first knife at my moms tomorrow. My nephew (who's a junkie now) was livin there for awhile. Something makes me think I wont be finding it. Its nothin special but very sentimental. If I do I'll post a pic & tell its story.

Bob
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

No idea the real value :?: and don't care :lol:
Even if it had no sentimental value it's a damn good knife that would be very hard to replace :idea:
butch

Post by butch »

I got this impireal from my uncle who is the one responsible for turning me into a knife nut.This knife carved a lot of toys as I was growing up
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

That looks a LOT like my 2nd knife but, mine had a chain and belt loop. When I put it on, it was the 1st time anyone really noticed that I was "correct handed" :wink: