ultimate collector knife book

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

ultimate collector knife book

Post by mrbigg »

does anyone know of a current book title that can be used to identify knives of all kinds? is there one specific book that would be considered the ultimate resource?
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

No One source but their are plenty out there/ Jim Sargent has a good one as do, Houston Price, Bernie Levine, I have all the years of the Ken Warners books Knives "81" to "2000" and then Krause didn't re new his contract and they started continuing the series and I stopped getting them. I just go to Borders and read them. If you have a Barnes and Noble or Borders near you check it out if not they are all on line. The bad news is they only touch upon switches. Look back on TSF I think the guys name is Richard Langston or something he published a book with Paladin Press but deals with American made switches. Check with Ken also he or his buddy just came out with a new switch book. Also Amazon has books. Like I say their are plenty but most deal with slipjoints. BA has Meyers book at the moment last I looked $80 and different people told me Switchblade ace of blades is good for emergency toilet paper. There out there though. PM me and I can be more specific on authors since they(my books) are all downstairs and my puter is upstairs if you need them.
PB
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

thanks PB,

i was hoping for the "if it's not in here it wasn't made" book, but was somewhat expecting your answer....

i have one book, its by stewart/ritchie called "big book of pocket knives" and it has a lot of knives in it, roughly 340 pages, no auto's. so my first try at trying to identify an old pocket knife with the book was inconclusive.
i have an old imperial "kamp king" pocket knife, that belonged to my grandmother, but it isn't in the book. i don't think it's very old, maybe 70's, 80's, but i'm curious.........

i guess i'll have to dip into my knife budget, and head off to the local book store to see what i can find....

thanks for the leads!
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Mr Bigg
Imperial were made in Providence R.I until sold to an Irish Co in 1987. Which explains why there are so many Irish Imperial Knives on E-Bay. Imperial also owned Hammer Brand and Jackmaster as well as Crown. that also explains the multitude of shell bolstered Celluloid fish picks that seem to spawn like crazy cause everyone is either selling one or buying one all over the internet Christ I even have one in waterfall scales. Your Kamp King was produced from 1935 to 1987. The bad news is Imperial were not heavy well made knives and collectors interest compared to say Case is almost zippo. But since I grew up n N.E. and Imperial was the only choice really that we had I will always have a fondness for them because they allways remind me of my first pocketknives as a mere wisp of a lad.
PB
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

hey thanks PB - it has some surface blemish, and the black celluloid on the back has a small chip out of it. the thing was never sharpened - and has the imperial name and prov. R.I. stamped on the tang, and is pretty tight. this knife was floating around my grandmother's junk drawer.

i have no intention of selling it, but was always curious of how old it was. did you get that info from you cranium or a specific book?
Last edited by mrbigg on Sun May 18, 2003 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

I knew the info since Imperial isn't that far from me or I should say Providence plus it was in the paper back in 87 because it was a big deal that a large cutlery Co was closing it's doors. Also its just info you pick up on all the different forums. I will admit to going to Bernies book for the exact dates. Hey I'm good but not that good LOL.
PB
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

hey mr PB - thanks - i just had a more indepth look at my book, and alas thar she be matey! still doesn't give dates, also this book of mine does list old auto's made by imperial...more specifically the belknap hardware and manufacturing co....the imperial "jack-o-matic" pushbutton knives.....looks just like those hammer brand knives...

damn, now i have to have one..............
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

I have an old book from my gramps on pocket knives by Parker and someone, might have been levine, and i have guns and ammos digest of knives for several years... doesnt cover autos well at all, but everything else it does pretty good on.